Re: [RE] Grand master identifier ==>(evolved to) overprovisioning

> >> Either way, I think there is a need for some architectural
> >> specification to ensure that RE products have appropriate
> >> capabilities to allow plug in and go operation.
>
> Agreed! Although some of us use the term plug-and-play.
> I assume (correct me if not) that these mean the same thing.

This may be obvious, but an architectural specification is not
necessarily the same thing as an IEEE standard.  An architectural
specification could be a simple as stating which standards/protocols
need to be supported, and the default configuration/behavior related to
those standards (e.g. use 802.1D for topology control, use priority +
weighted queuing within 802.1 for scheduling, support >= 4 queues, ...).

A specification doesn't have to be anything new - it can simply say how
to use things that already exists.

- Matt