Re: [RE] Rev1 of my 1st presention at May meeting is in ResE area

Title:
Geoff:
The correction is noted however the 1.48 Gb/s rate is the HD capture rate at 1920 X 1080 resolution.  The ATSC HD specs (Annex A) allow for a further compression down to 19.4 Mb/s for 1080i (interlaced) formats which are 30 fps.  Today most outlets are indeed further compressing this bit rate down to as low as 8 Mbs but they assume that the customer does not have a display that has concurrent resolution capability.  I get my HDTV out of the air and have an LCD flat panel 1280 X 768 and I can see the degradation when the signal is further reduced, especially when there is much motion in the content.
What is not well known outside of the industry, is that the ATSC spec also allows for a 1080p (progressive) which is 60 fps. and therefore spec'd at 38.8 M.  1080p was the buzzword at the recent NAB show and will become fruit for discussion if not reality within the next two years.  60 fps is a killer for wireless LAN due to the specified 802.XX frame error rates, and I have had this confirmed by several large RBOCs.
One more reason for Res Enet.
John/Jim, any further comments?
Regards and Happy Father's day to all fathers,
Richard

Geoffrey M. Garner wrote:
During my first presentation at the May meeting (Description of ResE Video Applications and Requirements), I identified
several typos (the most glaring of which was the indication of HDTV rates as Mbit/s rather than Gbit/s).  A revision is now
in the ResE public area (thank you to Mike Teener for posting it); the link is:

Geoff
Geoffrey M. Garner
Samsung (Consultant)

begin:vcard