Re: [RE] Video question

Kevin,

The uncompressed digital video formats that I described in my first
presentation at the Austin meeting
were taken from SMPTE-259M for SDTV, and SMPTE-292M, -295M, and -296M for
HDTV.
The nominal bit rates were approximately 143 Mbit/s for sampled NTSC, 177
Mbit/s for sampled PAL,
270 Mbit/s and 360 Mbit/s for
2 samplings of component video respectively, and 1.484 Gbit/s and 1.485
Gbit/s for HDTV.
Note that the jitter and wander requirments
for the uncompressed digital video signals, given in the table and MTIE mask
of my 3rd presentation from the Austin meeting, are very tight (e.g.,
peak-to-peak jitter of around 1 ns measured with 10 Hz filter).

The compressed digital video format that I considered in the presentation
was MPEG-2.  The jitter and wander requirements are also given in the 3rd
presentation; they apply at the ingress of the MPEG-2 decoder and, while
stringent, are not as stringent as those for uncompressed digital video.

In the discussions so far, the digital video has been assumed to either
enter the residence from a service provider or originate in the residence at
a DVD player.  It seems that both cases, at least at present, use compressed
digital video.  Are there applications that involve uncompressed digital
video (or are there expected to be such applications)?

Best regards,

Geoff
Geoffrey M. Garner
Samsung (Consultant)