Re: [RE] Video question

Are there any well known jitter/ buffering requirements for transferring such high bandwidth uncompressed/ lightly compressed/ intra compressed streams? (For example, will transmission of raw video have to be pixel clock accurate to drive a display at the receiving end?)

Vinay

From: owner-stds-802-3-re@ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-re@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Tuck, Fred
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 1:26 PM
To: STDS-802-3-RE@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [RE] Video question

I don't think there is any confusion here.  All streams of data ranging from kilobits per second for low quality audio to 3 gigabits per second for 1080p/60 are potentially valid for transmission over a consumer network.  It all depends on the functionality of the display device.  If it is a dumb video display you may need to send it uncompressed video.  If it has any one of a number of possible decoders then you can send the video compressed in those formats at lower data rates.  All I was pointing out is that there are many other potential data rates for video between the 25Mbs DV and HDV formats and 1.5Gb/s (or higher) of uncompressed HD video.

Fred