Re: [RE] Comparing graphical analysis and analytical

Dave,

As long as the resulting traffic is compliant with it's bandwidth reservation, i.e. it doesn't send more packets per shaping period than reserved, it shouldn't produce any additional latency.

Having said that: If CBR traffic hicks up and then tries to catch-up with the streaming rate, it would violate its bandwidth allocation and indeed would produce additional latency. Is this what you mean by hick up? I assume in my calculation that this does not happen.

Max.

"James, David V" <david.v.james@intel.com>

11/03/2005 03:02 PM

Maksim Azarov/SMSC@SMSC, <STDS-802-3-RE@listserv.ieee.org>
cc
Subject
RE: [RE] Comparing graphical analysis and analytical

Max,

From a worst-case perspective, CBR traffic with a hickup at the wrong time
(traffic stops momentarily) gives much worse latency numbers.

Have you thought about how this could be included in your model?

Its at first counter-intuitive: transients that reduce the loading actually
can make the worst case latencies _longer_.

If this effect could be included in your model, then I would feel more
confident that we are addressing the true "worst case" bandwidths.

DVJ