Re: [STDS-802-Privacy] September 3 - Teleconference details

Hi all,

I think the email subject here is getting a little staled. However, in the email discussion there have been a number of very good points that will be useful for an eventual report/recommendation from the Group. Let me try to summarize the points using the topics from the Call for Contributions:

1.       Privacy Issues at Link Layer

o   Use of long lasting (e.g. globally unique) identifiers

§  User’s MAC address

§  SSID history broadcast with active probing (NOTE: not much discussion so far, but I think it should be added)

2.       Threat model for Privacy at Link Layer

o   Over the air privacy against passive attackers (i.e. observers)

3.       Proposals regarding functionalities in IEEE 802 protocols to improve privacy

o   MAC address randomization

§  During scanning phase (Probe REQ/RSP)

§  During active session

o   Bluetooth Privacy feature (see DCN privecsg-14-0005-01)

4.       Proposals regarding measuring levels of Privacy on Internet protocols

o   (NOTE: nothing so far)

5.       Implications of MAC address changes on

o   Collisions

o   DHCP states

o   IPv6 addressing

o   ARP/ND

o   Key derivation

o   SDN tables

o   Bridging/routing tables

o   Power utilization

o   Applications

(Have I missed any? – Please add/correct)

It is probably worth having an email thread for a discussion on some of these topics separately, so that we can later on produce some useful documentation.

I’ll start with one and provide some feedback to the group about the discussions during the presentations I recently gave to the 802.1/802.3 WGs.

Regards,

Juan Carlos