Re: [STDS-802-Privacy] Locally-administered bit and OUI registration

Célestin,

You should have a look at this IEEE RA tutorial:
	http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/tut/eui48.pdf

It explains that the IEEE RA assigns OUIs with the local (U/L) bit set to 0 and that it assigns CIDs with the local bit set to 1. If you flip the U/L bit in an OUI, you don't have an OUI; what you have is an invalid CID or someone else's CID.

The P802c draft (D1.2), currently under development, says:

"Changing the X bit of an RA-assigned OUI is not authorized by the IEEE RA, does not result in a valid CID, may invalidly duplicate a valid CID assignment, and shall not be used as the basis of an ELI." In P802c, the ELI ("extended local identifier") is used as a local MAC address.

Roger

Roger B. Marks <r.b.marks@xxxxxxxx>
EthAirNet Associates