Re: [STDS-802-Privacy] Locally-administered bit and OUI registration

Any local administrator can use locally administered addresses however they want. There are very few rules beyond that the local bit has to be one and the individual/group bit having its usual meaning.

If a product always uses it's OUI to form local addresses, that might conflict with addresses assigned by a local administrator. If it's an option that a local administrator can turn off or on depending on the way the administrator wants to use the address space, that isn't an issue.

There are some special cases where conflict with other locally administered addresses is less of a concern: e.g. when the address is used only during establishment of a connection to an access point or addresses used vehicle to vehicle (because there isn't any administrator, there is negligible time to go through an address assignment protocol, and the pool for conflict is a small number of devices.)

We have a project underway to describe an optional space plan for the local address space where CIDs are used to form local addresses. That would be another option.