RE: 802.16 Meeting #0: May 10-12 in Boulder

Roger-

Geoff's email reminds me of something you should consider.  There are two
methods currently used within 802 to grant voting membership (and the rules
allow the chair the option of which to use).

  Grant voting membership to a person when that person has met the
attendence requirements  (I believe 802.5 uses this one.)

  Grant voting membership to a person who requests it if that person has
also met the attendence requirements.  (802.3 and 802.12 use this method.)

I strongly recommend that you institute the latter method.  Voting
membership confers responsibilities as well as rights and one should give
the potential voter the choice of whether to assume those responsibilities
vs remaining an observer.

How would one execute this?
For the initial voting meeting explain the rights and responsibilities of a
voter.  On the attendence sign-in book, provide a way for each attendee to
indicate that they wish to become a voter.  This could be just a check-off
box.  Better might be a statement like "I wish to assume the rights and
responsibilities of voting membership" followed by a spot for signature.

For subsequent meetings, the proceedure in 802.3 for many years has been to
put up a list of those who are potential voters (they have met the
attendence requirements) a few times a plenary (perhaps Monday afternoon,
Tuesday morning and Thursday morning) and allow those who wish voting
membership request it from the floor.  Geoff only takes the request that
way, I allowed the alternative of requesting by giving me a note to that
effect.  Geoff's method does have the advantage of emphasizing that we do
expect members to grace us with their attendence even at the beginning of
the meeting.

Regards,
Pat