SEC Rules Change Ballot--waiting for: Carlo, Frazier, Grow, Rigsbee, Lidinsky, Benson

Dear SEC,

The good news: we picked up a few votes this week.
The bad news:  6 SEC members still haven't voted.

The results of the Nov. 99 rules change ballot (so far) are 7DIS, 6DNV:

Jim Carlo - 			DNV
Paul Nikolich -	DIS
Howard Frazier -		DNV
Bob Grow -			DNV
Buzz Rigsbee -		DNV
Bill Lidinsky -		DNV
Geoff Thompson -	DIS
Bob Love -		DIS
Chip Benson -			DNV
Vic Hayes -		DIS
Robert Russell -	DIS
Bob Heile -		DIS
Roger Marks -		DIS

For those that 'voted' by sending comments in without EXPLICITLY casting a
vote (APP, DIS, ABS), I assumed the ballot was a DIS.  If this is
incorrect, please send a note to have correct the ballot recorded.

For those that DNV (did not vote), remember under the rules change rules,
not voting equals abstain equals DISAPPROVE.

Regards,

--Paul

Altough I appreciate Bill's attempt to improve the accuracy and precision
of this part of the rules, I vote Disapprove on this rules change--mainly
because it buries the original intent of the change and became too
complicated.

Remember, the original intent (going back to Nov. 1998!) of this rules
change was to SIMPLY reduce the turn around time for letter ballots and
recirculation ballots (to 35 and 15 days from 40 and 20 respectively) to
account for the lower latency of electronic balloting.

All the other text has been introduced as a result of a secondary issue;
clarifying the definition and constraints of voting at meetings versus
letter ballots.

Given the pace of technology development in our industry, the pressure
improve the speed of the standards development process has increased.
Hence we need to reduce the turn around time of our ballots (while
maintaining high quality) immediately.  I suggest we decouple the reduction
of ballot turn around time from the other issues and focus on changing only
that part of the rule.

Furthermore, I suggest we reduce letter ballot time to 30 days and
recirculation ballot time to 10 days.

Regards,

--Paul Nikolich

At 12:10 PM 2/20/00 -0500, Paul Nikolich wrote:
>All,
>
>Many of us are delinquent (myself included) in casting our votes on the
>rules change ballot issued by Bill Lidinsky in November (see below).
>
>Please review the suggested rules change and cast your ballot immediately.
>
>The following members of the SEC have already voted:  Bob Love (dis), Roger
>Marks (dis), Geoff Thompson (dis)--everybody else, please vote!!!
>
>--Paul
>
>>Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:05:17 -0600
>>From: Bill Lidinsky <lidinsky@hep.net>
>>To: stds-802-sec@ieee.org
>>Subject: +++ SEC Rules Change Ballot
>>Sender: owner-stds-802-sec@ieee.org
>>

>>At the SEC meeting in Kauai on Thursday 11 November 1999 the SEC
>>approved submitting this IEEE 802 Operating Rules change to ballot.
>>
>>The proposed Rules Change deals with changes to the process for voting
>>procedures for a Working Group on procedural issues and technical
>>issues at 802 Plenaries, interim Working Group meetings, and in
>>between Plenary meetings.  The changes involve the following sections:
>>
>>5.1.4.1 Chair's Function
>>5.1.4.2 Voting on Technical Issues
>>
>>In addition there are minor changes to two other sections so that they
>>refer to the above two sections correctly.  These two other sections
>>are:
>>
>>3.6.1 Initiation of Proposed Rules Changes
>>5.1.3.4  Rights
>>
>>Attached is a pdf file showing the relevant clauses of the latest P802
>>Operating Rules (November 1998) with the changes indicated.
>>Strikethrough text is deleted.  Underlined text is added.  All other
>>text is as it exists in the current rules document. This text was
>>presented and discussed at a P802 Operating Rules meeting on Sunday
>>night, 7 November 1999 in Kauai at the beginning of the 802 Plenary.
>>It was further iterated upon during the week of the plenary.  This
>>proposed rule change represents the output of this process.
>>
>>This ballot opens on 12 November 1999.  It will close 30 days before
>>beginning of the March 802 plenary (Friday 4 February 2000).
>>
>>For your reference the current 802 rules URL is
>>
>>    "http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/devdocs.html"
>>

>>          Please vote early and often,
>>
>>          Bill Lidinsky, 802.1 Chair
>>          lidinsky@hep.net
>>          630-840-8067
>>

>Attachment Converted: "c:\My
Documents\Documents\Email_temp_storage\ProposedRuleChangeTry5forBallot1.doc"