Re: quorum issue in SEC Rules Change Ballot

Roger-

Within the structure of 802.3 I have no problem with the wording or
restriction.
Interim meetngs are normally for Task Forces or Study Groups. The work for
them is chartered at plenaries. There has only been one time in the history
of 802.3 when there was a interim WG meeting.
It may even have been a bad idea that one time. That is arguable. It
certainly was controversial with the Exec.

Geoff

At 10:19 PM 2/28/00 -0700, Roger B. Marks wrote:

>I am still unsure what process we are following on this. However,
>since I won't be able to attend the Sunday night rules meeting, I
>wanted to reiterate a point that I hope doesn't get lost.
>
>The current proposal says:
>
>>"A quorum of 50% of the Working Group voting membership is required
>>to be in attendance at Working Group interim meetings."
>
>This seems to imply that a meeting without a quorum is out of order.
>This is dangerous, particularly because Roberts Rules of Order
><http://www.constitution.org/rror/rror-11.htm#64> says this
>explicitly: "The only business that can be transacted in the absence
>of a quorum is to take measures to obtain a quorum, to fix the time
>to which to adjourn, and to adjourn, or to take a recess."
>
>Our rules need to make it clear that, in spite of Roberts, our
>Working Groups are entitled to hold an interim meeting in the absence
>of a quorum.
>
>Roger
>

>P.S. Bob Love (regarding an earlier ballot) expressed the same
>concern on 30 September 1999:
>
>>I have a concern with the wording in 5.1.4.2.2 which states "A
>>quorum is required at other Working Group meetings or in between
>>meetings."
>>
>>Surely, a quorum is required to conduct certain business, but the
>>present wording could be mis-interpreted to indicate the meeting
>>itself is out of order if no quorum exists.
>>
>>I propose an editorial change of the sentence to capture the
>>following spirit: A quorum is required at other Working Group
>>meetings or in between meetings to conduct working group votes.

|=========================================|
| Geoffrey O. Thompson                    |
| Chair IEEE 802.3                        |
| Nortel Networks, Inc.  M/S SC5-02       |
| 4401 Great America Parkway              |
| P. O. Box 58185                         |
| Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185  USA         |
| Phone: +1 408 495 1339                  |
| Fax:   +1 408 495 5615                  |
| E-Mail: gthompso@nortelnetworks.com     |
| Please see the IEEE 802.3 web page at   |
 http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/index.html