Invitation to Co-Sign Letter to IEEE Election Candidatesregarding ISTO

IEEE is now carrying out its annual election. Many candidates have
prepared position statements, but none addresses the issue of how
IEEE will deal with its Industry Standards and Technology
Organization (ISTO). As a voter, it is essential for me to understand
their positions on this critical issue.

In order to gather input on this topic, and to educate the candidates
on it, I have prepared a letter inquiring as to their positions. I
have posted the letter to my personal web site
<http://wireless-standards.com>.

In order to let the candidates know that others share my interest in
their positions, I am requesting that those who do please let me know
that they they wish to be listed as co-signers of the letter. To
join, first read the letter and then follow the link at the end to a
simple form. I will ask for your name and IEEE status to pass along
to the candidates, and I will collect your email address so that I
may pass any responses back to you. I will also post candidate

Time is short. I will distribute my letter to the candidates in one
week: on 15 October 2000. I will post their responses as I receive
them. On 26 October, I will email the co-signers (and other
interested individuals and groups) with a URL to the candidate
positions. This is six days before the 1 November 2000 deadline for
the receipt of ballots.

If you care about this issue, please read the letter
<http://wireless-standards.com> and then co-sign it immediately if
you wish.

If IEEE is to continue to function as a vibrantly democratic
institution, the members need to know the stance of the candidates on
the most important issues we face. If you are interested in IEEE's
relationship with ISTO, please participate by joining me.

Regards,

Roger Marks, IEEE Member
mailto:r.b.marks@ieee.org

Please feel free to distribute this Invitation to colleagues who may
be interested.

cc: candidates in IEEE Election