Re: advocating 802 positions to Standards Board

[Notice that I changed the subject line and deleted the old quoted messages.]

Geoff,

I'm skeptical that a Directed Position would apply at the Standards
Board. I think it's beyond our rules; furthermore, no one on the
Board is there as a representative of 802.

I am thinking more along the lines of something like, "Motion: That
the LMSC encourages the IEEE-SA Standards Board to pass the following
motion: ..." I think that, if we crafted the motion in this way, we
would be unambiguous about what we want. This could help both the
LMSC members and 802's supporters on the Board.

In general, it seems reasonable to me that 802 should take a
leadership role at the Board when it matters to us. In addition to
reviewing standards,the IEEE-SA Standards Board "is responsible on an
Institute-wide basis for encouraging and coordinating the development
of IEEE standards." Some of these issues have to affect us.

A question for the Standards Board members out there: do other groups
play an organized, active role on the Board, or do the members pretty
much act as individuals?

Roger