RE: Proposal to move the SEC meeting to Friday

Roger -

I'm afraid that considerations of how many Sundays are at stake don't cut
very much ice with me.  802 has always had a significant overseas
membership that has had little option but to travel at weekends in order
not to miss any of the meeting days.  Over the best part of 2 decades I
have (at a very rough estimate) sacrificed 90 Saturdays and 45 Sundays of
my own family time to the cause of 802 standards development - and that is
ignoring time spent at interim meetings.

Of course, when it comes to choosing venues for meetings, considerations of
weekend travel always seem to go out of the window as soon as Hawaii is
mentioned; the US contingent rub their hands in glee at the opportunity for
a cheap vacation, and it is conveniently forgotten that for the European
attendees this can mean an extra day of travel in both directions, with the
added hassle of overnight stops, etc.

If we start from the standpoint of what is convenient & preferable for the
Exec, then we are in serious danger of letting the tail wag the dog.  Our
primary focus has to be the needs for effective standards development.

Seems to me that the analysis runs as follows:

1. What are the needs in terms of Working Group time? It is very clear from
the Emails so far that, for some WGs, the current arrangement is not
providing enough meeting time to meet the demands of the work, and that
this is getting worse, not better.
2. Given 1), how is the week (or 2 weeks, or 3 weeks...) best organized in
order to allow the working groups to do the work they need to do? (taking
account of demands on meeting space, considerations of serial vs parallel
sessions...etc).
3. Given 2), how do we best organize the necessary evil of SEC meetings and
related Exec ad-hocs in a way that doesn't interfere too much with getting
the standards developed? (from my personal standpoint, these meetings
already encroach too much on my own involvement in WG activities, and
ideally I would like to see all such meetings arranged so that they do not
conflict with WG meeting time at all).

Regards,
Tony