RE: [802SEC] Spam on email reflectors

Replies sent only to originator.  Use "reply all" to reply to the list

Colleagues,  There's an additional problem inherent in the closed list which has
not yet been mentioned, which is that someone has to agree to be the gatekeeper
for deciding who can and who can't be added to the list or the restriction is rather
meaningless (if anyone can join, the spammers will too, and throwing folks off will
not be a deterrent if all they need to do is rejoin).  So there's a significant extra
administrative load involved in maintaining a closed list that may not be worth the
effort unless the spammers really start to get out of hand.  Usually a quick response
to the spammer indicating that his message was not appropriate for the reflector is
sufficient to deter future transgressions.  It is possible to block messages from
specific senders too, but if they are as resourceful as the spammers I see on hotmail
they never use the same email address more than once, so that's not much help either.
Let's all pray for a bit of "goodwill amongst men" (and ladies too!).
Thanx,  Buzz
Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
Boeing SSG
PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM