RE: [802SEC] Re:

Sofia,

Search http://www.google.com for "Power Line Communications" - there are
1.330.000 hits.  Many references are to be found to standards and standards
development efforts relating to data transmission over power lines.  One
citation, early in the list of millions, references ANSI/EIA Standard
709.2-A-2000 Control Network Powerline (PL) Channel Specification which may
contain useful information.

There was a plan to present a tutorial on Power Line Communications at the
November 1999 IEEE 802 meeting.  I do not know if this actually transpired
but the IEEE 802 Executive Committee sponsor was the IEEE 802 Chair, Jim
Carlo(jcarlo@ti.com) -- he may be able to point you to the tutorial
presenters and/or presentation collateral.

There has been a lot of interest in using building power lines (and
distribution power lines too) for data communication since the 1970s or
earlier.  Such a system, targeted towards building security and
environmental control combined with an in-building intercom and paging
system, was widely marketed in the US and Canada in 1977.  It was a marginal
commercial success, due to the cost of isolating the data circuitry from the
power line in a manner that would pass the safety requirements for UL and
CSA certificates and the resulting relatively high system price.

Good luck with your project.

John Montague

Sr. Consultant
Teradata, a division of NCR
CRM Professional Services
(803) 254-7144 (Virtual Office, voice mail)
(803) 254-7143 (V. O. FAX)
(800) 759-8888 pin 1909836 or e-mail to 1909836@skytel.com (phone # in
subject, < 250 char msg.)
(858) 485-2318 (office in Rancho Bernardo, CA,  BRIE engagement)
john.montague@ncr.com