From: owner-stds-802-sec@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-sec@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Howard
Frazier
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 3:55 PM
To: stds-802-sec@ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Standards CD-ROM

I produced the last three 802 CDROMs, with help from Geoff,
Face to Face Events, a dedicated team of guinea pigs who helped
by testing the masters, and of course the WG chairs and editors and
the IEEE staff editors.  All told, it takes about a week's worth of
time, including gathering the files, creating the web pages as aids
to navigation, doing the artwork, creating and proofing the master,
and working with the duplication house. Oh, and don't forget updating
and printing the license agreement on 4.7" x 4.7" card stock.

The cost is between $1500 and $2000, depending on the number of CDs ordered,
the number of colors used on the label, and the style of the package.
We have used an inexpensive paper envelope to save money. Jewell cases
add about 0.40 to the cost of each CD, as I recall. Figure on having the
master and the artwork ready 3 weeks before the meeting to avoid quick turn
fees. I strongly recommend going back to Bill Everett at Projex Co for the
work. Don't bother with alternate bids.  Projex is cheap, accurate, reliable
and easy to work with.

There is also the cost of distribution, which causes a minor logjam
around the registration area when the CDs are handed out. Our agreement
with the IEEE is that the CDs go to voting members only, so everyone's
membership status has to be checked before they can get a CD.

The primary value of the CD is that it is a tangible artifact that you
can hold and show off to your friends. It's cool to be one of only 1000
people lucky enough to have one.

Personally, I find it much easier to copy the 64 MB worth of files onto
my laptop's hard drive. Once I have the files, the CD is merely another
bit of detritus kicking around with the flotsam and jetsam in my brief
case.

With the advent of GetIEEE802, the CD is definitely of less value.
Now, anybody and everybody can get a free copy of any 802 standard,
six months after publication, so the cachet is greating reduced. Since
just about anybody can burn a CD themselves these days, it isn't
terribly unique to have "all of the 802 standards on a single CD" anymore.

I also believe that if you are active in 802, and interested in a particular
standard, the chances are that you were either in the WG or sponsor ballot
pool for the standard, and had access to the drafts.  So, the number
of people who actually benefit from getting the CD because they can get an
early copy of a new standard is pretty small.

On the whole, it is a small expense, and as long as some one is willing to
put the week of effort in to do the job, and it makes at least a few
people happy, then by all means, go ahead.  On the other hand, if the
primary value is the "artifact factor", then we might consider having
pens, coffee cups, T-shirts, ball caps, hacky-sacks, or some other bit of
802 memorabilia made up for distribution in November. How about an 802
fanny pack? An 802 beach towel? An 802 frisbee? Golf balls? Tennis balls?

Howard

"THALER,PAT (A-Roseville,ex1)" wrote:

> Mike and Bob,
>
> The cost to the treasury of creating the CD-ROMs is pretty small - on the
> order of $1000 though it may be a bit higher this time because of our
> greater numbers. The real cost is the time from a few members to prepare
the
> material and get the production arranged.
>
> My leaning would be to keep doing it because:
>   a. Standards developers need to be able to refer to the latest drafts
when
> creating new standards and supplements.
>   b. Discontinuing the CD could send the message that the financial
support
> 802 is giving to  increase 802 standards availability has reduced the
> availability to the 802 participants.
>
> But that depends on having the willing volunteers to get the CD ready.
Geoff