RE: [802SEC] Fwd: NEW DRAFT COPYRIGHT STATEMENT

John makes an excellent and important point. We are working to create
IEEE Standards, not IEEE-SA Standards. This change of nomenclature
may be intended to diminish the status of IEEE Standards to put them
on a par with the dreaded "IEEE-ISTO Standards". Whether or not that
is the intent, it may be the result.

Clause S-100 of the IEEE Bylaws:
	http://www.ieee.org/about/whatis/bylaws/s-100.html

is entitled "IEEE Standardization" and makes numerous references to
"IEEE Standards". It says, for instance:

"The IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA) has the responsibility to
pursue programs on an Institute-wide basis that enhance globalization
of IEEE standards. This responsibility includes recommending policy,
providing financial oversight, encouraging and coordinating the
development and revision of IEEE standards and standards information,
and conducting other standards-related activities in fields of
interest to the Institute."

The Bylaws give the IEEE-SA the authority to develop "IEEE
Standards". They do not give it the right to develop "IEEE-SA
Standards".

Roger