[802SEC] Balloting Comments from IEEE 802

Any other comments before I send compilation to Angela Ortiz as comments
from IEEE 802 WG chairs? Let me have your comments by 16October.

Jim Carlo (j.carlo@ieee.org) Cellular:1-214-693-1776
Voice&Fax:1-214-853-5274
Vice Chair, IEEE-SA Standards Board
Chair, IEEE802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee

From Roger Marks (IEEE 802.16 WG Chair)

I'm really pleased to hear that the Balloting Center is seeking 802's
opinion on its operation. Here are my comments for incorporation into
our response.

The Balloting Center has done a good job of running my electronic
Invitations to Ballot. However, I have had many frustrations with
them in running my first two Sponsor Ballots. I have observed:

*an general unwillingness to commit to a schedule and an occasional
retraction once a commitment has been made

*a distribution of a recirculation to the wrong ballot group

*the distribution of a ballot announcement, without review by me,
that included many serious errors (e.g., the URLs were wrong) and
that released a password without my approval (it wasn't an important
password, but the Balloting Center had no way to know this)

I have tried to work constructively with the Balloting Center. For
example, following discussions and a meeting, I revised my comment
submission database program to create output in the Balloting
Center's XML format. {It turns out that this was not very useful.}

Here is what I would like to see:

(1) The option to run my own ballot using the ballot group created by
the Balloting Center. This would take less of my own time and energy
and could be done on a tighter and more predictable schedule. The
hardest part would be to ensure that I understood the RevCom
requirements.

(2) The following changes in the Balloting Center's operations:

(a) A procedure for committing to a ballot launch date one week
before the actual launch. At this date, the Working Group Chair
should submit the ballot announcement for review. The announcement
should include the URL to the ballot package on a server to be
arranged by the Chair. The ballot package need not actually be posted
to that server until the day of the launch. Alternatively, if the
Balloting Center is asked to post the ballot package, then they
should be willing to promise 48-hour service.

(b) A commitment to offer the Working Group Chair the opportunity to
review the announcement before the launch.

(c) A process to return comment data to the Working Group in a
structured format that can be readily imported into a database. Right
now, all we get is an email record of each comment.
From Vic Hayes (Former WG Chair of IEEE 802.11 and now Regulatory Ombudsman)

Although I am no longer involved, I would like to propose that the groups
can assign multiple addressees for the courtesy copy of the comments and the
votes, so that the tasks can be done by one and checked by another, for
example.

I did it by making a small distribution list and then asking the courtesy
copy to be sent to the list. But that is more work to do for our precious
resources.

++++Request for Balloting Feedback+++++++++