Re: [802SEC] example of delays in Balloting Center+++Correction+++

Good Morning Roger:

We would appreciate your patience and understanding considering this is a
very busy time for us at the IEEE Standards Department, since many groups
are trying to meet the Oct. 26 deadline.

Please consider there were many balloting and invitation requests waiting
to be expedited before we receive you request.

We are doing our best to deliver a service that will meet everybody's
needs.

Thank you for your understanding.

Angela O.

Angela Ortiz
Program Manager - Technical Program Development
IEEE Standards, 445 Hoes Lane,
Piscataway, NJ  08855-1331 USA
Telephone: 1732-562-3809  ><  Fax: 1732-562-1571
E-m:  a.ortiz@ieee.org   ><   www.standards.ieee.org

FOSTERING TECHNOLOGICAL INNOVATION

----- Forwarded by Angela Ortiz/STDS/STAFF/US/IEEE on 10/12/01 09:38 AM
-----

                    Angela Ortiz
                                         To:     "Roger B. Marks" <r.b.marks@ieee.org>
                    10/10/01 05:15       cc:     sa-ballot@ieee.org
                    PM                   Subject:     Re: Request for P802.16/D5
                                         Confirmation Ballot(Document link: Angela
                                         Ortiz)

Dear Roger:

Thank you for your E-mail.  As I mentioned to you on my previous E-mails,
the Balloting Center (BC) has a very big work-load right now and it keeps
increasing everyday, since this is a very busy time for us at the standards
department.  However, they are doing their best to send everything ASAP.
With that in mind, the best date they can give you is approximately 5 days
after the whole package (draft, etc), is submitted to the BC.

Also, please confirm what do you mean by confirmation ballot?  Do you mean
recirculation ballot?

Thank you for your understanding.

Angela O.

:- ) :- ) :- ) :- ) :- ) :- ) :- ) :- ) :- ) :- ) :- ) :- ) :- ) :- ) :- )
:- ) :- )
Angela Ortiz
Program Manager - Technical Program Development
IEEE Standards, 445 Hoes Lane
Piscataway, NJ  08855-1331  USA

FOSTERING TECHNOLOGICAL INNOVATION

Telephone:  +1 732 562-3809
Fax:              +1 732 562-1571
E-m: a.ortiz@ieee.org  ><  www.standards.ieee.org

                    "Roger B.
                    Marks"               To:     a.ortiz@ieee.org
                    <r.b.marks@iee       cc:     sa-ballot@ieee.org
                    e.org>               Subject:     Request for P802.16/D5
                                          Confirmation Ballot
                    10/08/01 01:46
                    PM

Dear Angela,

I would like to request that the Balloting Center prepare to open a
P802.16/D5 Confirmation Ballot. This ballot should not be launched
until Draft 5 is available. I have every expectation that it will be
ready by this Friday, October 12, and I would like that to be the
date for starting the ballot.

Below, you will find my draft of the announcement note. It is
complete except for the Ballot Number (I inserted asterisks in the
URLs for the vote and the comments).

For this ballot, I will support distribution of the ballot package on
IEEE 802.16 web sites. I am not asking the Balloting Center to
distribute any files.

Please let me know whether the Balloting Center will be ready to open
this ballot on Friday.

Thanks,

Roger

Dear IEEE P802.16 Balloting Group Member:

This e-mail is to advise you of the opening of the electronic ballot
for P802.16/D5 Confirmation.

Instructions for Balloting on P802.16/D5 Confirmation: "Local and
Metropolitan Area Networks -- Part 16: Draft Standard Air Interface
for Fixed Broadband Wireless Access Systems"

This announcement opens the confirmation ballot on IEEE P802.16/D5.
You need not vote in this recirculation; if you do not, your previous
vote will stand.

The electronic ballot for IEEE P802.16/D5 Confirmation officially
opens on Friday, October 12, 2001, and it closes at 11:59 PM (Eastern
Time) on Monday, October 22, 2001.

Please review the information below regarding the balloting
procedures. The ballot package includes the comment resolutions and a
cover letter reporting the results of the previous recirculation,
both of which are available at:

http://ieee802.org/16/docs/01/P802-16_Confirm.zip

plus the draft, which is available at:

http://ieee802.org/16/tg1/draft_access.html
username: tg1access
password: WirelessMANtg1
(Note: The username and password are case-sensitive.)

The files are posted in ZIP format. After downloading them, you must
unZIP them before you can open them as Adobe PDF documents.

The draft is posted for your review for balloting purposes only and
should not be copied or redistributed.

You should cast your electronic vote on the comment resolutions at
the following URL:

http://standards.ieee.org//cgi-bin/balloting?vote:0000***

Comments on the comment resolutions should be entered at the following URL:

http://standards.ieee.org//cgi-bin/balloting?comment:0000***

If you should have any questions, problems, or comments, please
contact the Working Group Chair:

Roger Marks
Phone: 303-497-3037
Fax: 303-497-7828
E-mail: marks@boulder.nist.gov

***REMINDER***
This ballot closes at 11:59 PM (Eastern Time) on Monday, October 22,
2001. The voting and comment URLs will be closed at this time, and no
further votes and/or comments will be accepted.

Thank you for your participation in this ballot. We appreciate your
cooperation in this program, and welcome your comments and
suggestions for improvement.

IEEE-SA Balloting Center

Roger wrote:

"Here is a new example of my interactions with the Balloting Center.
On Monday, I requested that a ballot start on Friday; I offered to
post the ballot package to a specified URL by then. Yesterday
evening, I was told (see below) that they will not put me in the
queue until my ballot package is ready; after that, they hope to
start the ballot within 5 days.

I would be much happier doing this myself.

Roger"

>Dear Roger:
>
>Thank you for your E-mail.  As I mentioned to you on my previous E-mails,
>the Balloting Center (BC) has a very big work-load right now and it keeps
>increasing everyday, since this is a very busy time for us at the
standards
>department.  However, they are doing their best to send everything ASAP.
>With that in mind, the best date they can give you is approximately 5 days
>after the whole package (draft, etc), is submitted to the BC.
>
>Also, please confirm what do you mean by confirmation ballot?  Do you mean
>recirculation ballot?
>
>Thank you for your understanding.
>
>Angela O.

This was a reply to my note of Monday: