From: owner-stds-802-sec@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-sec@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Roger B.
Marks
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 3:14 PM
To: Jim Lansford
Cc: Tim Blaney; stds-802-sec@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [802SEC] Coexistence TAG proposal

Jim:

We seem to have a language misunderstanding.

The proposal refers to "Recommended Procedures" and "guidelines for
addressing coexistence of draft standards prior to sponsor ballot"
that would be subject to "75% approval vote by the members of the 802
COEX TAG". Below, you mention a 'Recommended Practice that described
for a WG how to establish that a draft "coexists" with existing
approved standards.'

What I mentioned in my comment was "tasking a coexistence TAG to
write a PAR and then a Recommended Practice on coexistence," approved
with "full balloting machinery," that, if successful, "would be
widely influential and therefore worthwhile as a published IEEE
Recommended Practice." I was trying to emphasize that I am talking
about a Recommended Practice, not some "recommended procedures". It
could also be a Guideline, but not some "guidelines".

I believe that we are talking about different things.

Paul can correct me if I am wrong, but it was clear in my mind that
what I am describing is what he suggested. I tried to be clear on
this issue in all the discussions I've had on the topic this week.

Roger

At 1:19 PM -0600 02/03/14, Jim Lansford wrote:
>Roger,
>	Thanks for the prompt comments...they are very helpful.
>
>	I was attempting to capture the concept that you, Paul, and I had
>discussed - creation of a Recommended Practice that described for a WG how
>to establish that a draft "coexists" with existing approved standards,
which
>has to establish at the outset what "coexistence" means.
>	I then tried to go beyond that to describe an ongoing role that the TAG
>would play in advising SEC about whether a draft indeed met the Recommended
>Practice.  These are certainly sequential; in my view, we need to:
>	a) Establish a definition of coexistence that is ratified by the WGs
>	b) Using that definition as a basis, write a Recommended Practice that
>describes to the WGs how to achieve "coexistence" (e.g., a TG needs to
show,
>either by analysis or simulation, that a proposed draft coexists by
>quantifying the degradation due to interaction with other IEEE wireless
>standards, under the assumption of a set of usage models.)  This
Recommended