Subject: ITU-T SG17 MSR
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 15:16:48 -0600
From: Roy Bynum <rabynum@mindspring.com>
To: tak@cisco.com
CC: p.nikolich@ieee.org

Mike,

At the ITU-T Study Group 17 meeting in Geneva , February 27, 2002 through
March 8, 2002, in Working Party 2, Question 7, a draft contribution was
made under the title of x.MSR, Multi-Service Ring.  This draft contribution
covers a proposed protocol and implementation of data link layer mapping of
multiple service protocols onto an optical ring transmission service.  This
proposal intended for implementation in undeveloped areas of the world,
that currently do not have any data communications infrastructure.  As such
it appears to be a very simplified version of the technology that is being
developed in 802.17, Resilient Packet Ring.  The optical ring bandwidth is
intended to not be over subscribed based on the services and may not need
such things as "fair queuing" or Quality of Service functions.

I was asked by the chairman of SG17, Herbert Bertine,  to present hard copy
of liaison letters to IEEE 802 and 802.17, which was done on Monday,
March12, 2002.  I understand that Mr. Bertine has also sent e-mails to the
Mike Takelman and Paul Nikolich that includes the liaison letter and a copy
of the draft contribution.  I have been working with SG17 and would be glad
to be available to answer questions concerning the work of SG17, Q7 and
this particular draft contribution.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum

2056Rev1.doc