[802SEC] RE: Rules Language interpretation on Voting

Mike,  I believe that it was a common practice in Pat Thaler's 802.12 group.

They frequently took both individual and per-company votes on the same
motion to see if there was a dramatic difference.
When dealing with potential Block-Voting abuses, having that kind of data to
refer to helps a lot if you do have to make a ruling.  Roll call votes also
provide precise data.
When folks are thus made explicitly aware of the impending hammer, they tend
to modify their behavior to mitigate the problem.
Per company voting is not recognized by IEEE as a valid mechanism, so you do
need to do both, but the data collected can make a convincing case for
reducing all the votes from a single company to count as just a single vote
per the rules.  In Pat's case, the mechanism worked very well and the
problem soon went away.  You should ask her for more details.

Thanx,  Buzz
Dr. Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
Boeing SSG
PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM