RE: [802SEC] +++ SEC Rules Change Letter Ballot +++ Ballot on WG electronic voting

I vote DISAPPROVE until the following additions are made to the text
to be changed:

1) In an earlier email exchange I suggested that non-returned email
ballots be considered exactly the same as non-returned letter
ballots, i.e., that they negatively affect the non-balloter's voting
status.  Please change the first sentence in 5.1.3.3 to the
following:

"Membership may be lost if any two of the last three Working Group
letter or email ballots are not returned, or are returned with an
abstention other than "lack of technical expertise.""

2) Contrary to Geoff's position, I would like to see a minimum return
requirement as it is currently stated in 5.1.4.2.1, without requiring
that non-returned ballots be considered negative votes.  Counting
non-returned ballots as anything at all makes absolutely no sense to
me.  It means that someone who is no longer participating, who has
retired, who has moved into another area of work, possibly even
someone who is dead, can affect the outcome of an electronic ballot
simply by not replying.  They can continue to do this until their
voting status is lost as described in 5.1.3.3.  Last I checked, the
Daly's of Chicago were not running the LMSC.

What I would like to see is a minimum abstention requirement, like
that for sponsor ballots.  Please add to 5.1.4.2.1 "Non-returned
ballots on votes by electronic means are not counted as either yea,
nea, or abstain.  On votes by electronic means, a vote is not valid
if more than 30% of the ballots returned are abstentions."

3) I believe that the change to the title of section 5.1.4.2.1 has
the unfortunate effect of limiting voting by electronic means to only
technical matters.  As such, it would prevent a WG from voting by
electronic means on any procedural matters, such as sending liaison
letters that were not available by the close of a meeting.  Is this
the intent of the rules change?  If not, perhaps there should be a
separate section on voting by electronic means, as there is for
voting by letter ballot.

 -Bob

Bob O'Hara
Black Storm Networks