RE: [802SEC] +++ SEC Rules Change Letter Ballot +++ Addition of second vice chair position to SEC

Matt -

I'm not sure that I much care whether the terminology used is "co-vice" or
just "vice"; however, as has been pointed out, the succession is the
important issue here.

Not at all clear to me that it is right simply to state that whoever is
nominated first is first in line - the order of nomination doesn't seem to
me to indicate anything useful about that issue.  I believe that the right
approach is for the order of succession to be made clear as part of the
"package" of appointments that the Chair asks the SEC to confirm.

See comments interspersed below.

Regards,
Tony

At 12:39 02/04/2002 -0500, Matthew Sherman wrote:

>Paul / Pat / All,
>
>I'm a non-voting member, but still would like to express my opinion on this
>issue with the recognition by all that it does directly impact me.  I
>largely agree with Pat.  However, I'd like to suggest a slightly different
>perspective.
>
>First, there is an existing model in 802 for having 2 Vice Chairs to be
>considered.  Both 802.11 and 802.15 have multiple Vice Chairs.  In both
>working groups, there is no formal distinction between the Vice Chairs. The
>operating rules for 802.11 and 802.15 both call out a "co-vice chair"
>position.  802.15 rules do not clearly call out the function of a co-vice
>chair.  802.11 does more fully define the co-vice chair position, but
>neither 802.11 nor 802.15 clearly define an order of succession as it would
>relate to the co-vice chair position identified.  Also, none of the
>individuals currently elected and acting in the "Vice Chair" capacity for
>802.11 and 802.15 are called co-vice chairs or anywhere identified as such.
>In the recent elections, they were all nominated and elected simply as "Vice
>Chairs".  The co-vice chair position in the 802.11 and 802.15 rules seems to
>be unused and out of date.  The 802.11 and 802.15 working groups seem to
>have informally superceded the rules moving instead to have two Vice Chair
>positions.  To my knowledge, the issue of succession between these vice
>chairs is never formally addressed.  It is also my understanding that at
>least in 802.11, the operating rules are actively being amended, and that
>the "co-vice chair" position may be eliminated leaving only Vice Chairs.
>I'm not sure if the succession issue will be addressed.
>
>My own opinion is that designating a co-vice chair, or, 1st and 2nd vice
>chairs is actually more confusing then simply having two vice chairs.  I
>think it was Paul's intent that both individuals would serve equally, and he
>would have no formal distinction in how he calls on them, or the duties they
>would be asked to perform.  I believe that this is how things currently work
>in 802.11 and 802.15 as well.  I don't believe any issues have arisen with
>this approach in 802.11 or 802.15, and the approach seems to work well.
>Also, 802.11 and 802.15 migrated to having two Vice Chairs from having a
>vice chair and a co-vice chair, so there would seem to be some superiority
>to the approach of having two vice chairs.  However I agree with Pat that
>there should be a formalization of succession between the Vice Chairs in
>case a dispute ever did arise.  To resolve the issue, I would suggest the
>following:
>
>In the proposed rules change, after:
>
>"(The LMSC Chair may appoint one or two Vice Chairs at his' or her's
>discretion."

I sincerely hope we can take Mat's advice and get rid of the unfortunate
outbreak of random apostrophe insertion in this sentence. Should read
"..........at his or her discretion."

>Insert:
>
>"If two vice chairs are nominated for appointment, the minutes of the
>meeting where nomination occurs must clearly note the order of nomination.
>In case of a dispute over succession, the first person nominated as Vice
>Chair shall have priority."

My version of this insert would be:

"If the Chair chooses to appoint two vice chairs, then the Chair must
specify which of the vice chairs is to succeed to the position of Chair in
the event that the Chair is unable to continue in office."