RE: [802SEC] +++ SEC Rules Change Letter Ballot +++ Addition of s econdvice chair position to SEC

Pat,

I am not adverse to you simplifed text. I belive that the orginal logic, and yours match in my mind. Therefore I would suggest that yours is more succined, and we should go with that one.

- Stuart

                      "THALER,PAT
                      (A-Roseville,ex1)"                     To:  Stuart Kerry/SVL/SC/PHILIPS@AMEC
                      <pat_thaler@agilent.com>                stds-802-sec@ieee.org
                      Sent by:                               cc:
                      owner-stds-802-sec@majordo             Subject:   RE: [802SEC] +++ SEC Rules Change Letter Ballot +++ Addition of s econd
                      mo.ieee.org                             vice chair position to SEC

                                                             Classification:
                      04/03/2002 10:58

Stuart,

The meaning of the adition you suggest is not at all clear to me and it
seems a rather indirect and ambiguous way of stating what we want. Secondly,
I don't believe that it is generally the priviledge of chairman to
unilaterally appoint an arbitrary person to stand in as chair. The text you
suggest implies that the chair could appoint someone who is not a vice-chair
to take over from them despite the availability of a vice-chair to do that.

Executive committee members appointed by the chair have to be affirmed by
the Executive Committee. I don't think the chair should have the ability to
appoint someone to act as chair who has not been affirmed for that purpose
by the Executive committee. Also, one reason a chairperson may be unable to
chair the meeting momentarily is that he/she needs to recuse him/herself on
a matter. If that is the case, it might be inappropriate for the chair to
select the person chairing the meeting on that matter. It is better for it
to be someone chosen for the purpose generally.

Also, I don't particularly like the idea of having to search through the
minutes to see who is to chair the meeting.

The result of the following text is that order of sucession will be
confirmed by the Executive Committee at the same time that they confirm the
appointed officers and if it is necessary to refresh the memory then it will
be clear which minutes to look at.

"In the case where the chairperson is unable to perform the duties of Chair,
the Vice Chair shall assume those duties. If the Chair appoints two Vice
Chairs, then at the time of the appointment the Chair will designate which
is to have priority in assuming the duties of chair."

Pat Thaler