RE: [802SEC] +++ SEC EMAIL BALLOT +++ Motion: 802.16a to Sponsor Ballot

I've read through the disapprove comments and I have two concerns:

1) TBD's - normally we forward to sponsor ballot a document should be
complete which means that it shouldn't have any TBD's. Starting sponsor
ballot has been equated to lighting a solid fuel booster rocket. It can be
hard to abort the process once one has gotten to that point. It is the final
review phase. If the TBDs are in an informative part of the standard such
that even if they are never filled in it would be okay to publish then maybe
it is acceptable to go to sponsor ballot with them in place. If the TBDs are
normative then they need to be filled in before starting sponsor ballot
(which implies another Working Group recirculation).

2) Dismissive unresponsive responses to disapprove comments. A number of the
comment responses don't appear to seriously respond to the comment. To the
uninitiated reader they read like brushoffs. Look, for example, at the
comments concerned about the number of alternative physical layers. A
response to a comment such as this should include brief justification of why
the alternatives have been included. Similarly the responses to requests
that material be added to guide one in selecting between the PHY
alternatives. Note that the under Distinct Identity of the Five Criteria on
requirement is: "Easy for the document reader to select the relevant
specification." so it is a reasonable request that should have gotten a more
serious response.

If sponsor ballot comments end up going to RevCom with similar responses
then there is a good chance that the submission won't get approved. Comment
justify the working group response to an outsider. That is who will be
reviewing them to audit that the working group did its job.

Regards,
Pat