[802SEC] Yahoo! News Story - Feds look at wireless LANs

FYI

Angela Ortiz
Program Manager - Technical Program Development
__________________________
IEEE Standards, 445 Hoes Lane,
Piscataway, NJ  08855-1331 USA
Telephone: 1732-562-3809  ><  Fax: 1732-562-1571
E-m:  a.ortiz@ieee.org   ><   www.standards.ieee.org

FOSTERING TECHNOLOGICAL INNOVATION
----- Forwarded by Angela Ortiz/STDS/STAFF/US/IEEE on 08/19/2002 05:38 PM
-----

                    Karen Mc Cabe
                                         To:     Judith Gorman/STDS/STAFF/US/IEEE@IEEE, Karen
                    08/19/2002            Rupp/STDS/STAFF/US/IEEE@IEEE, Susan Tatiner/STDS/STAFF/US/IEEE@IEEE, Bob
                    05:30 PM              Labelle/STDS/STAFF/US/IEEE@IEEE, Susan Tatiner/STDS/STAFF/US/IEEE@IEEE,
                                          Mary Lynne Nielsen/STDS/STAFF/US/IEEE@IEEE, j.twalker@ieee.org
                                         cc:     Debora Wernoch/STDS/STAFF/US/IEEE@IEEE, a.ortiz@ieee.org
                                         Subject:     Yahoo! News Story - Feds look at wireless LANs

FYI re: IEEE 802.11x and a US government recommendation.

Karen McCabe
Senior Marketing Manager, IEEE Standards
445 Hoes Lane, PO Box 1331
Piscataway NJ 08855 USA
PH: +1 732 562 3824
email: k.mccabe@ieee.org
http://standards.ieee.org
----- Forwarded by Karen Mc Cabe/STDS/STAFF/US/IEEE on 08/19/2002 05:29 PM
-----

                    Yahoo! News
                    <refertofriend@reply.       To:     d.schiff@ieee.org, k.mccabe@ieee.org
                    yahoo.com>                  cc:
                    08/19/2002 03:12 PM
                    Please respond to
                    m.longshore

Marsha Longshore (m.longshore@ieee.org) has sent you a news article

Personal message:

FYI.. Deb, this goes with the NIST newsletter item you just mentioned.

Feds look at wireless LANs
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/mc/20020819/tc_mc/feds_look_at_wireless_lans

                                                       News Home - Yahoo! - Help

                                                     (Embedded image moved to
                                                     file: pic31762.gif)

  Welcome, Guest             Personalize News Home Page (Embedded image moved to
                                                file: pic28423.gif)  -   Sign In

 Yahoo! News   Monday,
 August 19, 2002

                                     |------------------------|
                                     | (*) News Stories       |
                                     | ( ) News Photos        |
                                     | ( ) Audio/Video        |
                                     | ( ) Full Coverage      |
                                     | ( ) The New York Times |
                                     | ( ) All of Yahoo!      |
                                     |------------------------|
                                                     for

                                                                          Advanc
                                                                          ed

 (Embedded image     Technology - MacCentral
 moved to file:
 pic27531.gif)
  News Front Page

  Top Stories
                     Feds look at wireless LANs
  World              Mon Aug 19, 8:43 AM ET

  Business
                     By Ellen Messmer, Network World (US)
  Entertainment

  Sports             A federal agency is readying a report that will recommend
 (Embedded image     against the U.S. government using wireless LANs -- except when
 moved to file:      applying a long, detailed list of security controls.
 pic04806.gif)
  Technology

  Politics

  Science

  Health

  Oddly Enough       Even though wireless LANs are a billion-dollar business and
                     growing fast, reports such as the one coming out from the
  Op/Ed              National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) continue
                     to dog the technology.
  Lifestyle

  Local              Sources say, the U.S. Department of Defense ( news - web sites
                     ) also is said to be considering restrictions on wireless LAN
  Comics             usage for classified and nonclassified environments.

  News Photos
                     What NIST is advising
  Weather

  Most Popular       Among NIST's recommendations is that wireless LAN access
                     points be located only where no unauthorized individuals can
  Audio/Video        access them.

  Full Coverage
                     With freeware such as AirSnort, hackers have been known to
  Lottery            access wireless LAN access points from up to 1,000 feet away.

  Crosswords
                     NIST also suggests that agencies put firewalls between
                     wireless and wire-based LANs. Another 50 or so recom!
                     mendations will be included in the report, called "Wireless
 News Resources      Network Security."

                     The NIST report arrives at a time when the IEEE is attempting
  Providers          to standardize on port authentication in 802.11 wireless LANs.

  Reuters
                     The proposed 802.1X standard addresses several authentication
  AP                 types, including passwords, certificates, media access control
                     (MAC) addresses and the widely used Remote Authentication
  Internet Report    Dial-In User Service protocol. But 802.1Xs progress hasn't
                     been smooth, with a University of Maryland professor cracking
  TechWeb            the technology earlier this year and companies such as Cisco
                     Systems Inc. and Funk Software Inc. battling over how to
  USA TODAY          bolster it.

  NewsFactor
                     But it's critical to move ahead on 802.1X because the 802.11b
  MacCentral         specification, as the NIST report points out, lacks any "true
                     authentication" of users. Only a user's wireless LAN-enabled
                     device is authenticated via what's called the Service Set
                     Identification (SSID).
  News Alerts

  denial-of-servic   The NIST report suggests that wireless LANs s! hould include
  e                  VPN clients and gateways for privacy and authentication. Wired
                     Equivalent Privacy (WEP), the 802.11 standard for encryption,
  Department of      has been shown to be too easily broken using freeware such as
  Defense            WEPCrack.

  wireless
                     Report cites helpful vendors

  (Embedded image    NIST singled out vendors such as Bluesocket and Vernier
  moved to file:     Networks as being among those that deliver products that can
  pic12268.gif)My    address wireless LAN security and privacy concerns.
  Yahoo!
  Add Technology -
  MacCentral to My   Searching out wireless LAN vulnerabilities is becoming a
  Yahoo!             business. One start-up, AirDefense, has catalogued what it
                     says are 100 types of denial-of-service ( news - web sites)
                     attacks jamming the airwaves with noise to shut down wireless
                     LAN access points, 27 attacks to take over wireless LAN
                     stations, 490 different probes to scan wireless LANs for
                     weaknesses and 190 ways to spoof media access control (MAC)
                     addresses and SSIDs to assume the identity of another user.

                     "The MAC address is unique, so only one should be trying to
                     come into the wireless! LAN at a time," says Fred Tanvella,
                     chief security officer at AirDefense, which developed a
                     wireless LAN intrusion-detection sensor.

                     "So if someone is using a Cisco card and another a Lucent
                     (Technologies Inc.) card, and they're trying to fake it, we
                     can tell," he says.

                     Government contractor Science Applications International Corp.
                     (SAIC) is experimenting with a "honeypot" to detect and trap
                     hackers trying to break into wireless LANs from a distance
                     (sometimes referred to as "wardriving"). The goal is to gather
                     information about how hackers get in.

                     While SAIC officials declined to discuss the project in depth,
                     it is known to be based on Cisco wireless LAN access points
                     deployed in the Washington, D.C., area.

                           Click here for all of today's news at MacCentral.

                     < Previous Story
                                                     Email Story
                                                  (Embedded image moved to file:
                                                    pic05602.gif)  Print Story
                                                                       Next Story >

                      (Embedded image moved to file: pic31907.gif) Message Boards:
                                             Post/Read Msgs

                     More Technology - Top Stories Stories

                     ·
                      Nasdaq Calls It Quits on Asia   (AP)
                     ·
                      Orbitz to Book Tickets Directly with American  (Reuters)
                     ·
                      OASIS Forms Group To Improve Web Services Management
                      (TechWeb)
                     ·
                      Take a look at who's instant-messaging you  (USA TODAY)
                     ·
                      Cult of the Mac - Is Anyone Switching?  (NewsFactor)

                                                                       Services
                                                                       ?
                                                                        Daily
                                                                        Emails