[802SEC] Re:802.2 reaffirmation

Forwarded for Hal Keen,

 -Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-stds-802-sec@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-sec@majordomo.ieee.org]
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 10:02 AM
To: owner-stds-802-sec@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: BOUNCE stds-802-sec@majordomo.ieee.org: Non-member submission
from ["Henry Keen" <Hal.Keen@att.net>]

I think it's clear that because of dependencies (802.5, 802.1D, 802.1Q)
we
will need to reaffirm 802.2, although 20/20 hindsight reveals we'd have
been
better off adopting the Ethernet DLC as a top-level MAC sublayer and
offering Type field assignments to those who wanted link-level
connections
or addresses.

Can anyone advise as to the possibility of fixing an ancient typo in the
state machines as part of the process? It was supposed to be handled by
the
editor--part of an ISO Technical Corrigendum proposal that was abandoned
by
declaring the editor was authorized to make the corrections. A few years
ago, I discovered one item on that list had never been fixed, through
about
three published editions.

If it means opening up the whole document for revision, it's probably
not
worthwhile. And at this point, maybe nobody cares any more.

Any advice?

Hal Keen
Hal.Keen@ieee.org