[802SEC] FW: PAR and 5 Criteria for 802.11k with additional information

From: "Stuart Kerry" <stuart.kerry@philips.com>
To: <stds-802-sec@ieee.org>
Cc: <apetrick@icefyre.com; hworstell@research.att.com;
richard.paine@boeing.com>
Subject: PAR and 5 Criteria for 802.11k with additional information
Date: Friday, October 11, 2002

Dear 802 SEC members:

This is notification under the 30-day rule that 802.11 is planning to submit
a new
PAR at the November meeting to address Radio Resource Measurements in the
802.11 MAC and PHY.

Attached for your review is the PAR and 5Criteria ( to be designated as
project 802.11k) which was drafted by the Radio Resource Measurement Study
Group and approved by the full Working Group at its September meeting in
Monterey.

This activity has attracted considerable interest within 802.11, with Radio
Resource Measurement Study Group attendance averaging 50 or so people from
over 35 companies. The authorization to start a the study group was
originally approved in the May 802.11 session with a vote in the WGN-SC of
54 approve, 4 disapprove, and 6 abstentions and in the WG Plenary with a
vote of 72 approve, 12 disapprove and 17 abstentions. In the September
session the text of the PAR and 5 Criteria was completed and they were voted
on in the study groups evening session to submitted them to the Working
Group with a vote of 14 approve, 0 disapprove and 0 abstentions. In the
September 802.11 Working Group Plenary session, the Par and 5 Criteria was
approved to be sent to the SEC for the start of a Task Group with a vote of
78 approve, 0 disapprove, and 1 abstentions.

This project is  to define measurements and develop mechanisms to provide
802.11 wireless network measurement information to higher layers and new
applications.

We took the opportunity to have this reviewed by the Jodi Haasz of the IEEE
office. She made some suggestions and was satisfied that appropriate
language was included in the PAR.

Stuart Kerry,
Chair - IEEE802.11 Working Group