[802SEC] PAR to be considered at Nov 2002 plenary session

Dear SEC,

In response to Rogers request, attached below are all the PARs that I have in my records as to be considered at the November 2002 Plenary Session.  Unfortunately Roger I cannot provide the URLs to all the PAR forms and 5 Criteria—(what would I have received as ‘extra credit’ ???).  If I missed one, please let me know so I can add it to my list.

Regards,

--Paul Nikolich

802.1 PARs:

802.1D

802.1 currently has a maintenance PAR for 802.1D, P802.1y. We have decided

to change this PAR to a revision PAR, for a number of reasons:

- There are already 2 amendments to 802.1D. Tracking maintenance items

across 3 documents is becoming tiresome and prone to error;

- A revision will give us the opportunity to consolidate all existing

published parts of D (802.1D:1998, 802.1t, and 802.1w) and to apply the

maintenance items currently documented under P802.1y;

- 802.1D:1998 is up for reaffirmation in 2003 anyway, so this will save a

balloting step.

With Paul Nikolich's agreement, I have therefore submitted a revision PAR,

to be numbered P802.1D, to the NesCom secretariat and asked for P802.1y to

be withdrawn. The Scope and Purpose of the P802.1D PAR are closely similar

to those in P802.1y, changed simply to reflect that consolidation of

existing amendments into the base text is part of the scope. The text of

the new PAR can be seen at:

http://www.ieee802.org/1/mirror/8021/docs2002/P802.1D%20revision%20PAR%20form.htm

802.1 MAC service Provision

>This is notification under the 30-day rule that 802.1 plan to submit a

>new

>PAR at the November meeting to address LAN support for service provision.

>The current draft PAR and 5C text can be found at:

>http://www.ieee802.org/1/mirror/8021/docs2002/service-provision-par.pdf

I should have mentioned - I plan to pre-submit this PAR in time for the 1

Nov NesCom submission deadline; if there are any edits as a result of

discussion/input in the November meeting, the revised draft PAR will be

forwarded to the NesCom secretariat after that meeting.

802 Std

At the last SEC meeting, we approved a Chair's Guideline for procedures for

registration of Object Identifier arcs, and agreed that the correct end

game would be for a PAR to be raised to insert this material in Standard

802. I have therefore pre-submitted the following draft PAR to NesCom:

http://www.ieee802.org/1/mirror/8021/docs2002/802b-PAR.htm

for final forwarding approval in November.

802.3 PARs

none at this time, although there will be a 10G over copper CFI and Link Layer Security CFI

802.11 PARs

802.11j 4.9-5GHz Operation in Japan

This is notification under the 30-day rule that 802.11 is planning to submit a new

PAR at the November meeting to address the IEEE802.11 - 4.9 GHz - 5GHz Operation in

Japan.

Attached for your review is the PAR and 5 Criteria ( to be designated as project 802.11J)

which was drafted by the Wireless Next Generation Standing Committee and approved

by the full Working Group in a 15 day letter ballot.

802.11k Radio Resource Measurement

This is notification under the 30-day rule that 802.11 is planning to submit a new

PAR at the November meeting to address Radio Resource Measurements in the 802.11 MAC and PHY. Attached for your review is the PAR and 5Criteria ( to be designated as project 802.11k) which was drafted by the Radio Resource Measurement Study Group and approved by the full Working Group at its September meeting in Monterey. This activity has attracted considerable interest within 802.11, with Radio Resource Measurement Study Group attendance averaging 50 or so people from over 35 companies. This project is  to define measurements and develop mechanisms to provide 802.11 wireless network measurement information to higher layers and new applications.

802.15 PARs:

802.15.3a higher rate PHY for 802.15.3

Attached for your review is the PAR and 5C ( to be designated as project 802.15.3a  ) which was drafted by the Alternate 15.3 PHY Study Group and approved by the full Working Group at its September meeting in Monterey.  This activity has attracted considerable interest within 802.15, with Study Group attendance averaging 80 or so people from over 40 companies.  This project is aimed at developing a substantially higher data rate PHY for the soon to be completed 15.3.

We took the opportunity to have this reviewed by the 802.19 TAG at its first meeting in Monterey. They were satisfied that appropriate language was included in the PAR and agreed to work with Task Group 3a in the definition of coexistence requirements that the task group would use in the selection criteria against which the proposals will be evaluated.

802.15.4 PAR revision

In the process of developing the draft standard for 15.4 currently in Sponsor Ballot, we discovered that if we had a raw data rate of 250Kbps vs 200kbps we were able to take advantage of a much simpler and more beneficial regulatory environment in Europe. As it was well within the scope of the proposed market and application space and as it allowed for a better international standard with better performance, it was a no brainer to make the change. Unfortunately we neglected to update the PAR to insure consistency. While it may not even be necessary in the overall scheme of things, we have an opportunity to correct this administrative oversite at the Dec.NesCom meeting, without any time impact, if we act now.

The proposed change is to the purpose statement in the PAR to bring it into alignment with the draft.

[To provide a standard for ultra low complexity, ultra low cost, ultra low
power consumption and low data rate wireless connectivity among inexpensive
devices. The raw data rate will be high enough (maximum of 200kbs) to satisfy
a set of simple needs such as interactive toys, but scaleable down to the
needs of sensor and automation needs (10kbps or below) for wireless
communications.

[To provide a standard for ultra low complexity, ultra low cost, ultra low
power consumption and low data rate wireless connectivity among inexpensive
devices. The raw data rate will be high enough (maximum of 250kbs) to satisfy
a set of simple needs such as interactive toys, but scaleable down to the
needs of sensor and automation needs (20kbps or below) for wireless
communications.

802.16 PARs

(1) P1802.16.2: 10-66 GHz Test Suite Structure and Test Purposes <http://ieee802.org/16/docs/02/80216-02_45.pdf>

This is the second of the three conformance standards we plan for the 10-66 GHZ air interface. The first is moving rapidly; the PAR was approved on August 15 and we have already initiated a Call for Comments on a 161-page proposed draft. We would like to open the new PAR in December because we expect input before the March meeting.

(2) P802.16d: Detailed System Profiles for 2-11 GHz <http://ieee802.org/16/docs/02/80216-02_47.pdf>

This project, an amendment to IEEE Std 802.16, is the lower-frequency parallel to our 802.16c project, which passed Sponsor Ballot and which we expect to be approved by RevCom in December.

(3) P802.16e: Physical Layer and Medium Access Control Modifications for Mobile Operation in Licensed Bands below 6 GHz <http://ieee802.org/16/docs/02/80216-02_48.pdf> (PAR) <http://ieee802.org/16/docs/02/80216-02_49.pdf> (Five Criteria)

This PAR, for an amendment to IEEE 802.16, is the work of the 802.16 Mobile Wireless MAN Study Group. It is the next step in the development of the 802.16 air interface, following up the 2-11 specification in 802.16a, which has passed Sponsor Ballot (pending recirculation).

We are open to comments from other Working Groups and ask that they be delivered to us, per the custom, by 5 pm on Tuesday of the Plenary Week.

802.17 PARs:

802.17a

Please find attached a PAR for 802.17a, which is in reality part of the

obligation of the current 802.17 PAR to update 802.1D for 802.17.

Please distribute to your WGs and direct any questions to me during the November meeting.

MBWA ECSG PAR

The Mobile Broadband Wireless Access Executive Committee Study Group (MBWA ECSG) met 10-12 September 2002 and approved a PAR and "Five Criteria" to be forwarded to the LMSC Executive Committee for approval at the November Plenary. The ECSG approved PAR and Five Criteria are attached.

The PAR proposes to establish a new project to develop a PHY and MAC layer standard for an air-interface supporting full vehicular mobility and optimized for packet data services.   The proposed standard addresses licensed spectrum below 3.5 GHz and looks at currently commonly available channel bandwidths of 1.25 and 5 MHz. The proposed standard is unique in that it addresses full vehicular mobility in a macro-cell environment, higher spectral efficiencies than achieved by 3G and addresses both uplink and downlink capabilities. It will also address greatly reduced air-link latencies, thus enabling transparent IP networking for both non-real time and real-time data services. The project is complementary to the IEEE work on PANs, LANs and FWA and the ECSG recommends establishment of a new Working Group to address this project. Additional information on the proposed project can be found in the attached paper "Initial Views on the Desired Characteristics of Mobile Broadband Wireless Access Air Interface".

The ECSG welcomes comments from all active 802 groups (WGs, TAGs and ECGS) and asks that they be delivered to us, per the LMSC Operating Rules, by 5 pm on Tuesday of the Plenary Week. Due to the limited time that will be available to present at the opening plenary, if any WG would like a 15 or 20 minute presentation of the PAR, either on Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning, I will be glad to accommodate such requests.