Re: [802SEC] Kibis in Kauai

I suppose that it would help if every one had a copy of P1541 as it was
submitted for the approval of the Standards Board. The attached PDF
file was distributed to the members of the Standards Board after the
motion to approve was tabled, so I believe that it is the definitive
copy. I believe that the copyright permission statement on the front page
allows me to make this distribution to the SEC.

The limitations in the 1999 draft, exerpted in the P.S. from Roger,
do not appear in the draft that was submitted.

In regard to the following statement:

   No matter what, we can't have someone outside the ballot group
deciding that, when
   a draft said M, it really meant something other than a million. It's
clearly out of line for
   SCC14 to tamper with balloted drafts, no matter what the issue.
That's why SCC14
   is given the opportunity to coordinate during ballot, isn't it?

the fact of the matter is that SCC14 routinely makes changes in drafts
after balloting
has been completed. Usually, the SCC14 comments are submitted in the form of
a coordination response, but there is no requirement that coordination
recirculated to the ballot group.

RevCom generally accepts SCC14 changes if they are truly editorial, and
since January,
2001, RevCom generally accepts all SCC14 changes related to compliance with
the IEEE's policy on the use of metric units. One concern is that with
the approval
of P1541, SCC14's mandate may be extended to include the conversion to
these new prefixes.

Howard

Roger B. Marks wrote:

> Howard,
>
> I support your suggestion of Trial-Use approval. I also think that
> your arguments about the lack of real balance (not just formal
> balance) on the Balloting Group are your strongest.
>
> As for the technical issues, I think that, when an IEEE Standard
> refers to 1 MB, I ought to know unambiguously whether it means
> 1,048,576 bytes, 1,024,000 bytes, 1,000,000 bytes, or what. I think
> the real impact of the standard should be to say that, when we say M,
> we mean million. The fact that we have confusion now is, to me, an
> indication that we have a problem. I don't know whether 1541 is the
> ideal solution or not. The Ballot Group seemed to think so, but maybe
> they weren't the right one.
>
> No matter what, we can't have someone outside the ballot group
> deciding that, when a draft said M, it really meant something other
> than a million. It's clearly out of line for SCC14 to tamper with
> balloted drafts, no matter what the issue. That's why SCC14 is given
> the opportunity to coordinate during ballot, isn't it?
>
> Roger
>
> P.S. I haven't read the balloted draft, but the 1999 version says "The
> use of these prefixes should be restricted to audiences that are
> familiar with mathematical notations such as 2^10... They should not
> ordinarily appear in the descriptive literature, such as instruction
> manuals and labels, that accompanies products sold to the general
> public."
>

>> My biggest concern with P1541 is that, unlike many IEEE standards,
>> this standard is likely to affect a very broad range of other standards,
>> from multiple disciplines. Based on what I have observed regarding
>> the enforcement practices concerning IEEE standard units, every new
>> and revised standard is going to be rigorously and thoroughly examined
>> for compliance with 1541.
>>
>> There is a case in recent history in which a draft was submitted to
>> RevCom
>> for approval, and SCC14 insisted that SI prefixes be replaced with
>> the kibi/mebi/gibi equivalents, and suggested that this could be done
>> without
>> conducting a recirculation of the draft. RevCom weighed in by saying
>> that such a change would require a recirculation, and that since the
>> draft
>> had been approved by the ballot group in its current form, it should be
>> approved by the Standards Board as submitted. This recommendation
>> was upheld by the Standards Board, and then further upheld upon an
>> appeal from SCC14.  (the final resolution was to put the values in the
>> document in expanded form, which was deemed to be an editorial change).
>>
>> From this case, I worry that with the approval of P1541, sponsors and
>> ballot groups will have no recourse, and will have to live with
>> kibis/mebis/gibis, etc, and may not even know that their drafts have
>> been changed until they see them in published form. Okay, standards
> [...]

p1541.pdf