[Fwd: [802SEC] IEEE-USA/CCIP statement on "Accelerating Advanced Broadband Deployment in the US"]

Dear All,

I have attached a draft position statement from the IEEE-USA regarding
"Accelerating Broadband Deployment".  I have several serious concerns
about this position statement that I wish to bring to your attention.

1) I am very concerned about the process that was apparently used to
develop this statement.  I am not familiar with the workings of the
IEEE-USA,
but it appears that they do not subscribe to the policy of "openness" that
is inherent in the procedures of the IEEE-SA. In particular, I believe that
this positition statement was drafted without any input or advice from the
IEEE-SA, the IEEE 802 LMSC, or the IEEE 802.3 Working Group, yet
the subject matter of the statement is of significant concern to all of
those
bodies.

2) The statement places a heavy emphasis on the application of standards
developed in the IEEE 802.3 Working Group, specifically the Gigabit
Ethernet standard, IEEE Std 802.3z-1998.  As the chairman of the body
that developed this standard, as one of the authors of the standard, as
one of the inventors of the technology, and one of the leading experts in
the field, I find it unfathomable that I was neither consulted on the
statement,
nor made aware of its development, nor given a chance to review it. This is
not a case of a wounded ego, as I believe that none (or at best a very
limited
selection) of the other experts who participated in the development of
IEEE Std 802.3z-1998 were consulted either.  This should give everyone
serious doubts as to the credibility of the analysis behind this statement.

3) As further evidence of the lack of coordination and communication with
the relevant experts, the statement completely ignores the current projects
in the IEEE 802.3 Working Group related to the subject.  In particular,
the statement makes no mention of the IEEE P802.3ah project, which
concerns Ethernet in the First Mile, the application of Ethernet technology
to subscriber access networks, specifically for the purpose of accelerating
the deployment of advanced broadband services. This project is hardly
a secret, and has been in development for over two years.  By completely
neglecting this work, the position statement omits key findings of the
project,
and presents obsolete information.

4) Interestingly enough, the statement acknowledges the expertise of the
IEEE 802.3 Working Group and the IEEE 802 LMSC. How the group
that drafted this statement can simultaneously acknowledge and ignore
these bodies of experts is beyond me. I am very concerned that the statement
will be interpretted as representing the position of these bodies. This
must not be allowed to occur without their advice and informed consent.

I believe that the IEEE-SA, the IEEE 802 LMSC, and the IEEE 802.3
Working Group should have the opportunity to review and comment on
this statement before it is issued by the IEEE-USA.  It appears that the
audience for the statement is intended to include US Government departments
and agencies such as the FCC, DoJ and FTC, and that the statement attempts
to influence US national policy on the subject.  This is a non-trivial
matter.

As I have no direct contact with the hierarchy of the IEEE-USA, I call upon
the individuals addressed on this email to assist me. I do not know the
intended
timeframe for release of the statement, nor do I know the current status of
the statement.  Please help me answers these questions, and help me find a
way to ensure that the relevant bodies of experts within the IEEE-SA are
consulted.

Howard Frazier
Chair, IEEE 802.3z Gigabit Ethernet Task Force (ret)
Chair, IEEE 802.3ah EFM Task Force
Member, IEEE-SA Standards Board