Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 5:57 PM
Subject: Motion for WG Initial membership interpretation

Paul,

I wish to formally make a motion concerning the interpretation of the current initial membership rules.  The motion I would like to make is as follows:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Motion that until the P&P revision titled "WG membership" being balloted starting March 27th, 2003 is completed (estimated to occur at the end of the July 2003 IEEE 802 Plenary meeting) the line in the LMSC P&P section 5.1.3.2 titled "Retention" reading:

’Membership is retained by participating in at least two of the last four Plenary session meetings.’

Should be interpreted as reading:

’Membership is retained by participating in at least two of the last four Plenary sessions. (An individual who attains membership by participation and attendance at the first meeting of a new Working Group is assumed to have the right to retain that membership by the granting of credit for 'full virtual attendance' at the plenary session that would be immediately previous to the first working group plenary session.)’”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geoff Thompson helped develop this motion, and has agreed to second it.  Note that based on recent discussions it is somewhat different than the motion I said I would first make on the reflector.  This motion maximally protects the voting rights of initial members by ensuring retention of their rights through the first 4 plenary sessions.  We believe this is the motion that has the greatest chance of success.  If this fails, we may want make a second motion which we would want to complete before the end of the upcoming wireless interim session.  Since the motion is reasonably concise we would prefer a 15 day ballot period for this interpretation to allow time for a second round if needed.

Regards,

Mat

Matthew Sherman
Vice Chair, IEEE 802