RE: [802SEC] Fw: GSC 8 Draft Resolution: Standards for Wireless Access Systems Including Radio Local Area Networks Operating in the 5GHz Range

Mat, et al,

The 5 GHz band(s) that are expected to be allocated
globally at WRC-03 are clearly intended for WAS/RLAN
applications that will operate without licensing
requirements.

It seems to me at 802.20 (4G, whatever you want to
call it) will be a licensed application with carriers,
carrier infrastructure, etc.

Thus there are regulatory issues.

I see the possibility for severe coexistence problems
if we try to stuff that sort of service into the 5 GHz
band along with .11a+h and .16.

Finally, industry got agreement from USG (DoD) on
sharing with their critical radars in 5 GHz on the
basis of (extensive, protracted) sharing studies
based on the projected density of RLANs and that
application model.  DoD has clearly stated that they
would have SERIOUS issues with more "generic" mobile
use in that band ... and the DFS/TPC requirements
could prove difficult to meet (and onerous) to a
"carrier grade" service as I understand .20 is interested
in pursuing (particularly with the large turnout of
participants from the 3G community).

Regards,
Carl