From: Matthew B. Shoemake [mailto:shoemake@ti.com]
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 1:03 PM
To: Bob O'Hara
Cc: 'Stuart.Kerry@philips.com'; john.terry@nokia.com
Subject: Re: FW: [802SEC] +++SEC MOTION+++ Motion: Authorize Forwarding
of the 802.11g draft to RevCom

Bob,

	Thank you for forwarding Howard's comments.  My responses are
below.
Please forward to the SEC.

Regards,
Matthew

Howard and other SEC members,

	Please find my comments below.

These comments were truncated by Gilb and not by the committee.   We
received them in truncated form.

> B) There are no rebuttals to the comments.
>
> Perhaps there is a good explanation for all of this. If so,
> the following questions must be answered:
>
> I. Were ANY comments submitted with Disapprove ballots
> in the last recirculation?

The only comments submitted with a disapprove vote came from Gilb and
Moreton.  All of the comments from Moreton were editorial, and all of
the comments from Gilb where verbatim of old comments he had submitted.

> II. If comments were submitted with Disapprove ballots
> in the last recirculation, were ALL of them withdrawn by the
> balloter?

Actually Moreton and Gilb each submitted new technical comments, but
both of them withdrew them so that the process could move forward.  I
would encourage the SEC to take into account the intent of Mr. Moreton
and Mr. Gilb's in with drawing these comments.

> III. If comments were submitted with Disapprove ballots in
> the last recirculation, and not withdrawn, were the comments
> on material that had changed from the previously balloted
> draft?

We did have one comment on a section that had not changed, but it was
withdrawn by the commenter and was therefore not included in the
comment list.

> IV. Were ALL comments submitted with Disapprove ballots, that
> had not been withdrawn, and that were made on material that
> had changed from the previously balloted draft,
> recirculated *verbatim*, along with a rebuttal,
> to the ballot group?

To the best of our knowledge, this is the case.  As a result of your
comment, we are double checking this just to make sure out of the
thousands of comments processed, we did not miss one.

On comment number 2 below, the comment in question is clearly
editorial.  The committee rules clearly state that it is the job of the
chair to properly classify comments as editorial or technical.  As a
matter of practice, we take as a matter of fact the classification
provided by the commenter, unless challenged by a member.  In the case
of Gilb8, a member challenged this as being technical or editorial.  It
is my opinion, after analysis, that the comment is clearly editorial.
This determination was made because, if we had accepted the comment,
there would have been no behavioral change to compliant devices.  Task
Group G also felt that the meaning of the paragraph was clear without
the editorial change.

Thanks for your comments, Howard.

Best regards,
Matthew B. Shoemake
IEEE 802.11g Chairperson

> You should expect to receive questions like this from RevCom.
> It would be wise to have answers prepared.  The desired
> answers are: I. No, II. Yes, III. No, IV. Yes.
>
> Howard Frazier
> Member, IEEE SASB RevCom
> Vice-Chairman, IEEE SASB
>
> Grow, Bob wrote:
>
>> Vote = NO.
>>

>> There are substantive procedural lapses in the ballot process which
> form
>> the basis of my vote.  I can't though help but describe some
>> frustrations with the available documentation that increased the time
>> required to review the ballot information and either introduce
>> contradictions and or confusion about the ballot.
>>

>> It was very difficult to figure out which 802.11g drafts were
balloted

>> at sponsor ballot.  (I would give URLs if the web site provided them,
>> but the pull down menus do not update the URL so good luck in trying
>> replicate my descriptions.)  From the pull down menu Group Updates /
>> Task Groups / G, it appears that the initial sponsor ballot was on
> D6.2,
>> the first recirculation ballot on D7.1, and the second recirculation
>> ballot on D8.1, yet the ballot results (Group Updates / Ballot
Results