[802SEC] Note to BoG on WG financial irregularities

To: Gerry Peterson; IEEE-SA President

Dear Gerry,

As we spoke on the phone this morning, attached you will find a memo describing the irregularities found in the financial operations of the 802.11 and 802.15 WGs  (and the remedial steps that are being taken to resolve the problems) and the minutes of the executive session in which disciplinary action was taken.  The disciplinary action formally reprimands the 802.11 WG chair, Stuart Kerry, and 802.15 WG chair, Bob Heile, for financial irregularities in their WG operations.  This action was a very serious and grave step for the EC to take.  In my opinion, an action that was just short of removal from office.  Given that the WG chairs have complied with all recommendations to rectify the irregularities and did not exhibit any missappropriation or malfeasence, I believe the EC's action was appropriate.  The disciplinary motion passed 10/0/0.

Let me assure the BoG, that the EC takes the LMSC's  fidicuary responsibility very seriously and we are taking all the steps necessary to correct these problems and to ensure similar problems do not occur in the future, as you will see when you read the minutes and the memo carefully.  If there are any questions, feel free to contact me at 857.205.0050.

Regards,

--Paul Nikolich
Chairman, IEEE 802 LMSC

Attachement summaries:

1) 802 WG Treasuries D0.5.pdf
This document provides a detailed description of the violations of the financial policies and procedures for the 802.11 and 802.15 working groups.  It describes the P&P that were violated, a description of the 802.11 and 802.15 financial operation issues, proposed corrective/remedial actions that LMSC is undertaking to correct the violations (and their status), and a set of proposed changes to the LMSC P&P to ensure similar problems do not occur.

2) Minutes of the Executive Session of the 802 LMSC Executive….pdf
This document contains the minutes of the July 21, 2003 executive session on the disciplanary hearing.  It contains the formal reprimand motion that was passed and the resulting action items.

802 WG Treasuries D0.5.pdf

Minutes of the Executive Session of the 802 LMSC Executive..pdf