From: Mike Takefman [mailto:tak@cisco.com]
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 12:53 PM
To: Roger B. Marks
Cc: stds-802-sec@ieee.org; David Trinkwon
Subject: Re: [802SEC] request for your views on attendance credit

Roger,

My personal view is no. The TAG rule allowing credit for the
"home" WG seems reasonable, but it also is reasonable to have a
single home. I do see only one case where a reasonable interpretation
of this rule allowing an individual to get attendance credits at three
WG/TAG sessions by playing around with time budgeting.

In other words, my interpretation of the rule is to allow the following
to occur. An individual spends most of his/her time in their home WG.
They attend some number of TAG meetings and as such fail to meet the
minimum requirements of their home WG. Thus the rule correctly gives
them attendance credits at both.

If the situation occurred where attendance at 802.20 did not conflict
with 802.16 meetings, but 802.18 meetings did conflict with 802.16
meetings there is merit for credit for 802.16/18/20. (This was the
one case).

However, assuming that 802.20 meetings and 802.16 meetings
overlapped, I would argue that Mr. Trinknow is attempting to bend
the rules to allow attendance at all three WGs and should be denied
attendance at 802.16.

This does lead to an interesting issue, how does one declare their
home WG and what if any co-ordination is required to prevent an
person from declaring two homes.

cheers,

mike

--
Michael Takefman              tak@cisco.com
Distinguished Engineer,       Cisco Systems