From: owner-stds-802-sec@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-sec@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Grow, Bob
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 7:48 PM
To: IEEE802
Subject: RE: [802SEC] +++EC Motion+++ P802.3ah conditional approval

Geoff:

I must respectfully disagree with most of your arguments, finding them
invalid.

1.	There is no requirement to provide a summary of the comments.  In
fact, the requirement is to supply the comments and responses.  That has
been done with a URL.

2.	Consideration of the motion was deferred because you complained the
number of comments was too many to review in the EC meeting.  Now you are
arguing that it is too many to review in a 10 day ballot.  The number of
unresolved comments does not relieve our responsibilities for administering
the process, and we would have to do so in the case of an unconditional
request for forwarding to Sponsor Ballot.  The only difference between an
unconditional approval and the requested conditional approval is that 19
comments included in the current recirculation might possibly be reduced in
number.  The comments already recirculated but still unresolved would not
decrease with were this an unconditional approval for Sponsor Ballot.

3.	I will not attempt to dispute your subjective judgment that the 65
unresolved comments contra-indicate that "...ballot resolution efforts have
been substantially completed...", other than to reiterate that of these
comments, only 19 unresolved comments are from the D2.1 ballot and 7 of the
19 are pile-on comments to D2.0 comments.  Each member of the EC must make
their own subjective judgment if this criteria has been met.

4.	The number of comments you cite as evidence of lack of consensus is
not supported by the approval ratio.  The approval ratio at 84% remains well
above the required 75%.

5.	The schedule for resolution of comments was presented to the SEC
when the motion was originally presented at the closing EC meeting.  My
apologies for the lack of redundancy in presenting that information again
with the motion.  If the recirculation ballot produces no comments, there
will be no meeting.  If there are comments, a BRC will meet via
teleconference on 4 December to resolve the comments.  The BRC meeting with
short notice was approved by 802.3 (56, 0, 21).

There are things in the P802.3ah draft that I personally don't like.  I have
concerns about what I believe are technical problems in the draft.  I have
unresolved comments from D2.0 (supported by some D2.1 pile-on comments).  No
D2.0 voter's comments were persuasive enough make the recirculation ballot
fail.  Independent of my personal concerns expressed through the Working
Group ballot, I recognize that at the EC I am not to judge the technical
content of the draft, but I am to judge if the procedural requirements have
been met and defer to the technical judgment of the ballot group.

I as Chair and each member of the EC have obligations to both the minority
and the majority of the ballot group.  Though a minority remain unsatisfied,
their comments were and are being recirculated to the ballot group.  I
believe our obligation to them has been fulfilled.  We now have an
obligation to act per the expressed will of the majority.

--Bob Grow