Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 2:20 PM
Subject: Re: [802SEC] +++EC Motion+++ Rules Change Ballot on Roll Call Votes

Mike-

(DISAPPROVE at this point)
I applaud your attempts to fix this. I am not sure that it is a tractable problem for reasons that I will outline below.
But first the trivial fix:
Change from:
A roll call vote can be held at the discretion of the chair.
Change to:
A roll call vote may be held at the discretion of the chair.

And you need to add that a motion and a second is needed to call for a roll call
(and, I would hope that the vote could not be by acclamation)

But further than that, I'm not wild about your test criteria.

I believe that the problem in the Exec is that a roll call represents two different situations.
Situation #1
Occurs in fairly large groups without voting tokens.
Occasional problems arise when non-voters participate in a vote.
There are two remedies to this situation
        a) A caution from the WG Chair and a re-vote.
        b) A roll call vote
Requests for a roll call vote from the floor have traditionally been honored.
Requests for a roll call vote have been very infrequent.

Situation #2
(This is somewhat speculative since I am not in these groups. I welcome supplemental or corrective information)
Occurs in groups with voting tokens
These groups have less of a problem with non-voters voting.
There are situations where there are strategic voting issues with voting in a secret ballot vs a "public" roll call vote.
A request for a roll-call vote can be used in this situation to slow things down or to force members to vote "on the record".

My feeling is that we need to (1) recognize these differences and (2) come up with a solution that harmonizes or clearly differentiates these 2 situations rather than trying to lump them into the same pot.

At this point I don't have a particular idea on how to do that, but I believe that is the place to start.