RE: [802SEC] +++EC Motion+++ Rules Change Ballot on Roll Call Votes

Title: RE: [802SEC] +++EC Motion+++ Rules Change Ballot on Roll Call Votes

Mike and SEC members,

This e-mail addresses the roll-call vote issue in 802.20 and my interpretation of what the 802.11 operating rules (Revised July 20, 2003)actually do say (I leave to Stuart to correct any nuances I may be misinterpreting).

First the 802.11 rules:

1. Section 2.3.10.1 detailing responsibilities of the WG chair lists, s one of the responsibilities:

*       Maintain roll call list.

2. Section 6.3 of the rules states (Emphasis added):

6.3     Voting Tokens

Votes on motions during WG and TG meetings shall use a voting token, unless a roll call vote is requested by a WG voting member or directed by the WG Chair.

3. Section 9.3 with respect to secretarial duties states:

Any reasonable reading of the rules clearly indicates that roll call votes can be conducted and recorded. I would also assert that Section 6.3 implies that a single member can request a roll call vote. Also by having the phrase "is requested by a WG voting member or directed by the WG Chair" as a single clause it implies to me that both a voting member request and order by the chair have the same force. I.e. I believe the 802.11 rules allow a roll-call vote to proceed on the basis of a request by a single member.

Sure 802.11 does not as a routine take all its votes as a roll call vote - but again that has never been suggested by or for any group.

Since I made the motion to have the roll call vote I would like to give the full history of this below. In the interest of fairness it would be nice if individuals when they present a factual story relate the whole story.

At about 4:15 pm I introduced a motion to allow a 20% minority to request a roll-call vote. The chair first tried ruling that motion out of order. After several members of the group strongly challenged that assertion, discussion of the motion was allowed to proceed. At about 4:42 a vote on the motion was taken and the motion was defeated 26-39-1.

It was at that point that I requested a roll-call vote be taken on the previous motion. Discussion was allowed to proceed until a vote was taken at 4:59 pm (between 10 -17 minutes after the motion was first made). The motion, as expected, was defeated 44-25-0.  The chair could have ordered a roll-call vote and it would probably have not taken any longer the disussion plus voting time.

As far as using roll call votes as a tool to slow down work, I believe they are a singularly ineffective way of trying to accomplish that. A roll call vote, when requested or ordered, only delays the work by the amount of time it takes to call the roll. The roll-call can actually be done quite efficiently. If used frivolously, a roll-call would generate considerable ill-will for very little gain. There are many more effective ways, including ones using Robert's Rules that can be used to delay work. Also on technical issues a 25% minority can halt progress by simply voting no. Also the assumption underlying the statement that roll-call votes would be used to delay work is based on an assumption that the majority is voting for progress. In actuality the majority may be the side that is voting against progressing the work or against an efficient work group structure, so that if that is caused by strategic voting, a roll call would actually accelerate progress. So as a delaying tool, roll-call votes are useless and in some cases may actually accelerate work by discouraging strategic voting.

So in the words of Jerry "Given the real objective is a standard approved by consensus - - at least 75%" 20% is, therefore, not a "small minority" but a quite significant minority and allowing this minority to request that the nature and balance of the "consensus" be determined is entirely reasonable.

So with Mike's proposed safeguard on the amount of time spent on roll call votes I see no problem in allowing a 20% minority to request that.

Also as was pointed out at the meeting and as the 802.11 rules seem to imply other WG's allow roll-call votes to proceed on a single members request.

Mark Klerer