Re: [802SEC] +++EC Ballot+++ENDS 04OCT+++ Motion to approve P802.22 press release

Title: Message
I vote "no" on the motion.  I will change my vote to "yes" if the following comments are addressed in the press release.

1. The following sentence is inaccurate:
This standard will specify interoperable IEEE 802 WRAN products.

I do not believe the standard will specify products.  However, the standard might enable the creation of interoperable products.  Please change or delete this sentence.

2. The following sentence is difficult to understand and inaccurate:
The protocols will limit transmission power to the level needed to accomplish quality links to subscribers, and will monitor the environment over time to ensure interference does not occur.

I am not sure what it means to "accomplish quality links".  Perhaps what is meant is that the standard will "provide" quality links.  I am also not sure how the standard will, in general, "ensure interference does not occur."  All that the standard might do is to ensure that devices using the standard do not interfere with something, presumably those operating using the licensed services in the bands.

3. This statement seems to be a bit grandiose:
IEEE 802.22 will be a global standard that encompasses frequencies used by TV broadcasters worldwide and can conform to any regulatory domain.

I am not sure how a standard, yet to be written, can claim to be able to conform to "any regulatory domain".  How will it conform to a domain that prohibits any but the licensed services in the bands?  Please delete or heavily qualify this statement.

 -Bob