From: Roger B. Marks [mailto:r.b.marks@ieee.org]
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2004 1:58 PM
To: Sherman, Matthew J. (US SSA)
Cc: stds-802-sec@ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] +++ LMSC P&P Revision Ballot +++
compliancewithIEEE-SA and IEEE CS Governance

Mat,

I've attached comments below.

I thought I'd submitted this before deadline, but
it seems that I made a mistake.

I'd still like to have these comments considered.

Roger

------------------------

I vote Disapprove. My ballot comments are:

[Comment 1]

I don't understand the note that says: "PreBallot
Comments (I believe these were accommodated in
the balloted wording of the text)." As far as I
can tell, the PDF under ballot does not
incorporate Geoff's comment, which would insert
"who meets the participation requirements." I
agree that this limitation should be inserted as
a descriptor of the individuals to whom the
rights apply. However, at the same time, I think
we should replace, rather than add to, the
descriptor that the draft uses: "with a direct
and material interest". There is nothing in the
P&P that limits participation to those "with a
direct and material interest". We don't have any
way to verify that, and we shouldn't.

Also, I would like to remove "which means that"
from that sentence, instead splitting it into
two. We shouldn't use the P&P to define "openness
and due process".

[Remedy 1] Change:

"For the development of standards, openness and
due process must apply, which means that any
individual with a direct and material interest
has a right to participate by:"

to:

"For the development of standards, openness and
due process must apply. Any individual meeting
the participation requirements defined herein:"

[Comment 2]

I think we should delete the last sentence: "In
addition to openness, due process requires
balance, i.e., the standards development process
should have a balance of interests and shall not
be dominated by any single interest category."
Within 802, we do not track interest categories,
and we shouldn't. These are tracked for IEEE-SA
Sponsor Ballot, but those rules are defined
elsewhere and don't need to be repeated in our
P&P. If we did leave this statement, we'd need to
qualify it so that it applies only to Sponsor
Ballot and not to Working Group draft development.

[Remedy 2] Delete "In addition to openness, due
process requires balance, i.e., the standards
development process should have a balance of
interests and shall not be dominated by any
single interest category."

Roger

>Dear EC members,
>
>There is only ONE DAY left to get in you votes
>on this ballot. Below you will find current
>status on the ballot. The ballot closes at
>October 11, 2004 11:59 PM EDT.  Please try to
>get your votes in today!
>
>Note that I have voted "approve" with comments.
>I have additional recommended changes that I
>feel are required to be in full conformance with
>IEEE-SA / IEEE CS governance.  I have attached a
>powerpoint file that summarizes my efforts, and
>a marked up draft of our current P&P that
>includes the changes I am proposing at this time.
>
>Thanks & Regards,
>Mat
>

>Voters                DNV   DIS   DNV   APP   ABS       Comments
Provided?
>00 Paul Nikolich
>APP             No
>01 Mat Sherman                                  APP             Yes
>02 Howard Frazier       DNV
>03 Buzz Rigsbee         DNV
>04 Bob O'Hara           DNV
>05 John Hawkins
>06 Tony Jeffree                                 APP             No
>07 Bob Grow                     DNV
>08 Stuart Kerry         DNV
>09 Bob Heile            DNV
>10 Roger Marks          DNV
>11 Mike Takefman                DNV
>12 Carl Stevenson                                       APP
No
>13 Steve Shellhammer    DNV
>14 Jerry Upton          DNV
>15 Ajay Rajkumar                DNV
>---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---
>TOTALS  DIS  DNV  APP  ABS
>total: -00- -11- -04- -00-
>

>PreBallot Comments (I believe these were
>accommodated in the balloted wording of the
>text):
>Stevenson, Carl R (Carl)
>[carlstevenson@AGERE.COM]
>Tue 7/20/2004 1:28 PM
>
>Geoff's comments are good, and I would echo them.

>Geoff Thompson [gthompso@nortelnetworks.com]
>Mon 7/19/2004 1:11 AM
>
>I feel that the text that opens things up completely could be used
against us.
>Therefore, please consider the following change
>(If I had a vote it would be DISAPPROVE to get this change in.)
>From:
>"These Operating Procedures outline the orderly
>transaction of business of this committee. For
>the
>development of standards, openness and due
>process must apply, which means that any
>individual with a
>direct and material interest has a right to participate by:
>a) expressing a position and its basis,
>b) having that position considered, and
>c) appealing if adversely affected.
>Due process allows for equity and fair play. In
>addition to openness, due process requires
>balance, i.e.,
>the standards development process should have a
>balance of interests and shall not be dominated
>by any
>single interest category."
>To:
>"These Operating Procedures outline the orderly
>transaction of business of this committee. For
>the
>development of standards, openness and due
>process must apply, which means that any
>individual with a
>direct and material interest, who meets the
>participation requirements has a right to
>participate by:
>a) expressing a position and its basis,
>b) having that position considered, and
>c) appealing if adversely affected.
>Due process allows for equity and fair play. In
>addition to openness, due process requires
>balance, i.e.,
>the standards development process should have a
>balance of interests and shall not be dominated
>by any
>single interest category."
>Else we could have folks claiming they can
>either ballot or walk in and speak without going
>through the normal requirements (which are not
>discriminatory) of either meeting registration
>requirements or joining the ballot pool/group.
>
>I think we can add this text with no problem with the IEEE.
>

>Matthew Sherman, PhD
>Senior Member Technical Staff
>BAE SYSTEMS, CNIR
>Office: +1 973.633.6344
>email:  matthew.sherman@baesystems.com

802.0-Compliance_with_SA&CS_Governance-P&P_Revision_ballot.pdf >>