[802SEC] +++EC MOTION WITHDRAWL+++ ENDS 22 OCT+++Approval of IEEE P802.11p news release

Dear EC members,

Stuart Kerry has requested the below motion be withdrawn for the reasons
given below.  Unless there are any objections to withdrawing the motion,
within the next 24 hours (time expires 9pm ET 22 October), the motion will
be withdrawn.

Regards,

--Paul Nikolich

Rationale for withdrawing the motion from Lee Armstrong, chair of 802.11p:

Paul,

In further consideration of the proposed press release for 11p, the lawyers
that have been representing DSRC to the FCC voiced concerns that indicate we
should probably table this item for now. I talked to Stuart Kerry about it
and he concurs.

As background, the FCC has allocated the 5.850-5.925 GHz band for DSRC, with
rulemaking that requires all devices using this band be compliant with the
existing ASTM E2213-03 standard. This ASTM standard was written similar to
an amendment to IEEE 802.11, with obvious changes since it is neither an
IEEE standard nor can actually be written as an actual amendment. The entire
FCC process, from initial petition to the current status of licenses being
granted, was based on a band use rule requiring all devices to be compliant
with this ASTM standard. The intent, and what was agreed between ASTM and
IEEE and identified in the PAR, was that once the 802.11p was finalized, the
ASTM standard would be withdrawn and the FCC would be petitioned to modify
the ruling to reference the 11p standard instead.

We made it clear to the FCC early in the process that we wanted to
transition from the ASTM standard to an equivalent IEEE 802.11 standard as
soon as possible, but this was never heavily emphasized as we didn't want to
add further confusion to the process.

The problem we now have with the press release is that
  a.) It doesn't mention the ASTM standard. The concern here is that someone
familiar with the current FCC ruling may not realize that this meant to be
the replacement for the ASTM standard. It would not be a different standard
that would also be used in the band. It  needs to be clear that while this
will ultimately replace the ASTM standard, there will be complete
compatibility between the two (devices built to the ASTM standard will still
be compliant with 802.11p). I have attached a version where I added a few
words that may satisfy this need without going into detail that would
detract from the primary goal of the release.
  b.) Almost all of the FCC staff that were working on it when we were
telling them about these plans have left and those few remaining may not
have ready recollection of being briefed on this. We don't want to agitate
the current staff by seeing the press release and thinking that this is a
totally new thing we are doing. The lawyers want to have time to talk to
them to be sure that there are no problems with it when it does appear.

I wasn't too worried about it when I read the draft, as I was sure that the
FCC staff and all others that have been involved would be aware of the
relationship between 802.11p and the existing ASTM standard. Some others,
especially the lawyers, felt that further clarification was necessary. I
wasn't aware of the extent of the FCC staff turnover which could make it
sensitive if they are not properly briefed in advance.

In light of this, we fell that it is best to delay this press release and
thus table the motion until we can get further input from the lawyers
working with the FCC.

Regards,

Lee Armstrong
Armstrong Consulting, Inc.