[802SEC] proposal for non-NA Plenary soon [was +++EC Email Ballot+++ENDS 13 JAN+++motion to hold plenary sessions outside NA]

Carl,

As I have before, I am in favor of plenaries outside North America,
and I don't think this is the right motion to solve the problem. So,
let me suggest an idea could get us one or more non-NA plenaries
before 2008, regardless of the motion.

The rules do not specify the plenary calendar, nor even how often
they are held. March-July-November is nothing more than a tradition.

I suggest that we start looking for opportunities to run a non-NA
plenary in January, May, or September.

Back at the January 2004 EC ad hoc, I suggested a joint interim
outside NA as a partial solution to this problem. I said it would be
slightly, if only slightly, less complex than a plenary. Buzz has
been supporting this idea. At this point, I've changed my view and
would recommend that we upgrade such a meeting to Plenary status. I
say that for two reasons:

(1) Just calling it a Plenary would give it more prestige value; no
one would say "well, it's only an interim.
(2) Plenary status carries additional implications on membership
rights, giving people additional chances to attain/retain membership
without visiting NA.

My specific proposal is that, at the March meeting, we define a
future January, May, or September for a Plenary session and issue a
solicitation for hosting proposals. I am thinking of making a motion
to that effect in March, and I welcome views on the idea.

Roger