Re: [802SEC] FW: [802SEC] Proposed 802 Chair's Guideline Pertaining to Patents Etc.

Hi Pat,

The requirements that IEEE 802 have to meet are contained in subclause
6.3.2 'Call for patents' of the IEEE-SA Standards Board Operations Manual
[ http://standards.ieee.org/guides/opman/sect6.html#6.3.2 ]. This states
that 'The chair or the chair's delegate of an IEEE standards-developing
working group or the chair of an IEEE standards Sponsor shall be
responsible for informing the members of the working group that if any
individual believes that Patent Claims might be Essential Patent Claims,
that fact should be made known to the entire working group and duly
recorded in the minutes of the working group meeting. This request shall
occur at every standards-developing meeting.'.

While it is up to IEEE 802 to decide the best approach for it to meet
these requirements, the PatCom FAQs strongly recommend that the IEEE
Patent Committee developed slide set be used. In respect to the draft IEEE
802 Chairs Patent Policy Guidelines, as Stuart states in his email below,
he worked on it with a number of folk that developed the updated the
patent policy. I believe that in our opinions the approach in the draft
best meets the requirements contained in the IEEE-SA Standards Board
Operations Manual and the recommendations contained in the PatCom FAQs.

The draft IEEE 802 Chairs Patent Policy Guidelines states the PatCom slide
set is to be shown the same number of times as present, once at the first
meeting of each WG/TG/TF/SG session, although as you note there is an
additional slide to be shown at the start of each subsequent meeting of a
session. While the number of slides in the slide set has increased from
four to six, the number that it says should be read has been reduced from
three to two. In respect to the use of the terms 'session' and 'meeting' I
was under the impression these were well defined and understood terms
within IEEE 802. If this is not the case, I agree that it is something
that may need revisiting.

The use of tick box during registration is a rather different approach
from that recommended by the PatCom FAQs and I don't think has ever been
considered by PatCom. I'd personally recommend that if such an approach is
to be considered the concept should be developed by interested parties and
then reviewed by PatCom. I do personally wonder if a tick box at a IEEE
802 plenary would meet the IEEE-SA Standards Board Operations Manual
requirement that 'This request shall occur at every standards-developing
meeting.' since there are so many meetings going on in that one week. I'd
also like to understand what level of record keeping on IEEE-SA maintained
systems would be required.

To this end, I think the best approach would be for a group of us that are
interested to bring a proposal to PatCom in September. I'm happy to
contribute this effort.

Regards,
  David

***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** <STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org>