Re: [802SEC] IEEE 802 Emergency Services Ad Hoc Agenda

Paul:

I agree with Tony about the bad timing.

I'm also confused and concerned about a few issues related to this
meeting.  I will not forward to my WG until some concerns are addressed
about the meeting:

1.  Who chartered it?  The presentation lists it as an IEEE 802 ad hoc,
which would imply that either you or the EC chartered this meeting; yet
the presentation provided is an 802.11 document.

2.  The presentation cites SA governing documents and the LMSC P&P on
slide two, yet the LMSC P&P are silent about ad hoc meetings.  I would
think though to be called an IEEE 802 ad hoc it should have been
chartered by the EC.  Paul, your message doesn't even suggest that you
chartered the ad hoc as LMSC Chair.

2.  What is its objective?  I can only speculate based on the
presentation.  The abstract is worthless, the presentation objectives
are questions not objectives (i.e., a statement of the meetings
purpose).  The agenda item "Discussion" proposes a discussion question
about "this" without any definition of what "this" is (emergency
services does not seem to fit well as the assumed antecedent).

3.  Why wasn't this topic raised through the 802 Architecture Committee?
Emergency services was one of the items on its issues list, and the 802
Architecture Committee has been waiting for someone to show enough
interest in any of the issues on that list to resume meeting.

4.  At this point what it appears to me to be is an attempt to hold an
EC Study Group meeting without EC approval.

Based on the meetings serious lack of procedural basis, insufficient
information and obfuscation of the real meeting objective, I formally
object to this meeting being called an 802 meeting, and recommend that
the interested parties work with the 802 Architecture Committee Chair to
get an Architecture Committee meeting called to discuss the topic.  It
is now too late for the Architecture Committee to meet Sunday afternoon
as we did previously.  I would not have trouble holding the meeting in
an open tutorial slot as Tony suggested, though I would though have to
to determine if any EC action was required to allow a meeting to go
forward as an Architecture Committee meeting.

--Bob