Re: [802SEC] 802.15 SG4c - Editorial Changes to PAR

Dear EC Colleagues

Four comments were received since the draft PAR was first circulated. All
the changes were editorial and did not change the technical content of the
document.  Two were essentially the same and were combined with the two
commenters' approval. All the suggested changes were accepted and
reaffirmed by the Working Group (59/0/2).   More detail is below.  The
revised document can be found at
<http://ieee802.org/15/pending.html>http://ieee802.org/15/pending.html.

802.15 will be seeking approval at the Friday EC meeting to forward the
revised PAR to NesCom.  To expedite the process and agenda time on Friday
(and wear and tear on Rick) let me know if you have any questions before
then if possible.

Regards

Bob H.

At 08:34 AM 7/18/2007 -0700, Powell Clint-ECP001 wrote:

>Stuart, Rick, Stephen, Jon,
>
>First, thank you for your comments and feedback. In case I don't get to
>you personally before the .15 Mid-Week Plenary (this is a very strong
>chance) I wanted to brief you on the changes we made to the PAR based on
>your comments/feedback. All of the changes were editorial and do not
>change the technical content of the PAR.
>
>The changes are:
>- Accepted the scope and purpose changes to read as they will when in the
>amendment itself.
>- Accepted the change regarding reference to distance to range.
>- Moved text from Purpose to Need.
>- Reversed the order of words MAC and modifications in the Scope to make
>it absolutely clear that changes to the MAC will only be allowed if they
>are absolutely required to support the alternative PHY.
>
>We trust that the changes shown below meet your approval and that you will
>support our request to move from Study Group to Task Group.
>
>Current
>5.2 Scope of Proposed Standard:
>This Project will define an amendment to the 802.15.4 standard.
>
>This amendment shall define alternate PHY and MAC modifications as needed
>to support the PHY that complies with the applicable Chinese regulations,
>Radio Management of P. R. of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
>"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />China doc. #
>6326360786867187500 or current document, for one or more of the 314-316
>MHz, 430-434 MHz, and 779-787 MHz frequency bands.
>
>Proposed Changes Based on Comments/Feedback
>5.2 Scope of Proposed Standard:
>This amendment defines alternate PHY and modifications to the MAC needed
>to support the PHY that complies with the applicable Chinese regulations,
>Radio Management of P. R. of China doc. # 6326360786867187500 or current
>document, for one or more of the 314-316 MHz, 430-434 MHz, and 779-787 MHz
>frequency bands.
>
>Current
>5.4 Purpose of Proposed Standard:
>It was always the intention for 802.15.4 to include support for sub 1 GHz
>band in China.  The Chinese WPAN is specifying use of the 314-316 MHz,
>430-434 MHz, and 779-787 MHz band for LR-WPAN systems and hence sub 1 GHz
>band can be used for IEEE802.15.4 in China for the first time.
>
>Interference in 314-316 MHz, 430-434 MHz, and 779-787 MHz band is lower
>than that in 2.4 GHz. Transmission distance in the 314-316 MHz, 430-434
>MHz, and 779-787 MHz band is also longer than that in 2.4 GHz.  This makes
>it appropriate for many applications for which 2.4 GHz is not, due to
>improved range and reliability.
>
>The amendment to 802.15.4 will address operation in one or more of the
>314-316 MHz, 430-434 MHz, and 779-787 MHz band defined in the Chinese
>regulations.
>
>Proposed Changes Based on Comments/Feedback
>5.4 Purpose of Proposed Standard:
>This amendment describes support for sub 1 GHz band in China.  The Chinese
> [...]

Bob Heile, Ph.D
Chairman, ZigBee Alliance
Chair, IEEE 802.15 Working Group on Wireless Personal Area Networks
11 Louis Road
Attleboro, MA  02703   USA
Mobile: +1-781-929-4832
email:   bheile@ieee.org