Re: [802SEC] It doesn't have to be either or

John,

While I agree that Vancouver is not a logical alternative to Rome (it
doesn't meet our nNA objectives), I must admit that based on information
that has come to light recently (which I think should have been FAR more
broadly and prominently brought to the EC's attention MUCH sooner, and
likely would have resulted in retaining other nNA venues for further
consideration, rather than dropping them from consideration), I am EXTREMELY
concerned that holding fast on Rome will result in a MAJOR financial
disaster for 802.

1) Attendance may drop DRAMATICALLY, significantly impacting both meeting
fees and room committments.

2) Even if 1) does not happen, or the drop is modest, at the quoted room
rates, I doubt that more than a small fraction of our room block will be
booked at the quoted rates, resulting in significant penalties (which if I
recall correctly, could also negatively impact our costs for F&B and meeting
space).

As far as Hawaii goes, I don't think the Waikaloa Village, where the
wireless groups have held 2 interims (and plan to return for a 3rd) has
enough rooms or meeting space to hold an 802 plenary and there is no
"neighbor" property within a reasonable distance to support a split venue.
(Besides, at this date, Hawaiian properties that could hold us may well
already be booked for March 2009.)

As much as I dislike it, I am becoming inclined (but not *quite* ready to
commit) to supporting Vancouver, because I don't think we can afford the
risk that the Rome venue poses and I am not optimistic that a viable nNA
alternative could be found and committed before our option on Vancouver
expires.

Should I do so, it will be with the greatest of reluctance and should in NO
way be construed as a change of direction from my firm view that we need to
(and should be able to have) nNA plenaries, as so many other large groups
routinely do.

Carl