Re: [802SEC] It doesn't have to be either or

John,

That isn't accurate. The fee for the meeting facility isn't tied to the
size of the room block but Buzz said at the closing plenary that we had
to have at least a 400 room block for the hotel to be interested in
booking our meeting. If we don't make that block, the meeting facility
fee wouldn't go up but we would pay a penalty fee for the unbooked
rooms.

Since the Marriott Park Rome would have rooms for 400 to 600 of us, from
600 to 1100 of us (depending on whether you think the Rome meeting will
be down in attendance to 1200 or up near our peak attendance) that would
have to be at other hotels. From our earlier figures on attendance at
nonNA interims, I expect we would have a normal attendance level. This
hotel is 1 to 2 miles from the nearest public transit and about that far
from the nearest other hotel - most other hotels are much farther. And
that 1 to 2 miles is through an area fairly deserted at night so even
those of us who are normally willing to take that walk might hesitate.
With 600-1100 to move around, "a coach" wouldn't do it to shuttle those
booked at other hotels. That is about 15 to 28 coach loads of people to
get from their hotels to the Marriot Park for their morning meetings.

I would be fine with booking a meeting in a conference center or
University campus outside NA in a spot well served by public transit
(like the 802.1 and 802.3 joint interim at ITU in Geneva or the IETF in
Vienna), but I don't think we should be getting into the transit
business ourselves on this scale. If we did, given the other costs in
Rome, costs for bus shuttles might be pretty steep - even compared to
room rate differences.

Pat